Super Start Batteries
  • Aussiecrf230

Super Start Batteries

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:48 am

This brand is pretty popular in Australia but I know they export as well.

Just about to get a new battery for the 230 and see two different agm types with SSB branding but same specifications.
    The V-Spec and the XR series with the V-Spec $20-$25 dearer.

In the end rang the manufacturer and spoke to one of the tech people.

They said is same battery, different label with the V-Spec being made for KTMs.
    Seems a lot of bike shops only carry the dearer battery which I bet costs the same wholesale.

Being a Honda rider the XR series sounds better anyway.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

Re: Super Start Batteries

by JimDirt » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:28 am

I don't recall that name here , or at least with the exact labeling and Logo as the Au. one you are referring to , I personally use Shorai . I have had one in my 450X since 2011 and it starts every time , even after sitting a year without being charged .. it is Lithium Iron , they say the average lifespan is 5-6 years , I have had mine for 9 years and still going strong \:D/ :mrgreen:

On a side note some auto parts stores (and Wal-Mart) sell a battery labeled Super Start , but from what I can see it is not the same , at least the labeling and Logo seems to be different
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:07 pm

Yeah when you look after your battery they tend to have a better life.
    My original made in Japan yuasa lasted 7 years and the later made in Thailand yuasa lasted 5 years.

I would like to go to the lithium but in Aus they are 4 times the price so even if the agms only get 2-3 years I am still no worse off.

The SSB lithium can be charged with a normal 12v charger which has advantage over some of the lithium batteries out there.
    The shorai were big out here initially but seemed to have waned considerably.
    There were a few failures out here with moisture issues if I recall correctly, but there are some extreme riders the go through deep mud or creek crossings.
    Could have been pressure cleaner misuse as well.

My main reason for the post was to let people know not to get sucked in by marketing. You can hear the sales staff say "The V-specs are used in KTMs".
    I look at a/h and cca as they are what I am buying the battery for in the first place.
    I don't mind the orange bikes but the premium price for everything connected with them is just rude.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:45 pm

Yea , I understand , and yea , I have considered Husky and KTM (Keeps Taking Money) , but because of the cost of maintenance items , I figured Honda is the smarter choice even with some of the clutch issues Honda's have , I can work around that , but I can't work around overpriced parts that cost 2 - 3 times more than a Honda , or any jap bike for that matter ......

Yea , so far no issues with my Shoria , but yea , I have a nice Interstate Batteries , charger (Interstate is big over here) , that cycles batteries , so it does not seem to hurt this one , though I have only charged it a couple times when I was doing some work on the bike and kept cranking it over ..... and over .... till the battery finally ran down
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho