'05 450X Converting to 501cc, help!
  • bobby.loomis

'05 450X Converting to 501cc, help!

by bobby.loomis » Sat May 23, 2020 11:14 am

Howdy!

I want to convert to a 501cc. Hot Rods stroker crank, cylinder works big bore kit, hotcams stage 2, hinson clutch and maybe a lectron carburetor.

I can't find any info or results of someone else doing this to their carbureted 2005 450x, only fuel injected models.

Have you done this mod on your 2005? what was your experience like? what else did you have to do to the engine to make it run good? Jetting settings in your stock carburetor? Higher flow water pump? higher flow oil pump? hotter or colder spark plug? Plug gap? I have so many questions for the person who has done this 501cc conversion.

Don't try to talk me out of it. I want to do this to my '05 for the challenge, the satisfaction of completing a project, I like doing stupid things, I want more power than what I already have without buying a different turn key dirt bike.

Your positive and negative feedback will be greatly appreciated!
  • Leardriver

Re: '05 450X Converting to 501cc, help!

by Leardriver » Sat May 23, 2020 4:20 pm

Plenty of people have done it, but the faster bikes have a stock bore and stroke. The big bores are fantastic torquers and hill climbers, but they don't rev well and make good top end power. As a trail bike, it will run just fine.

You are going to spend a boat load of money. If it were me, I would sell an '05 and get one of the newer but used 450X's with 6 gears and a monster motor for similar money that you will spend on a big bore.