Can't get 250R to kickstart. Need some ideas.
    Teel

Can't get 250R to kickstart. Need some ideas.

by Teel » Fri May 22, 2020 12:45 am

Hello, this is my first time posting but I've read multiple hours on this site. I have a 2005 CRF250R that I cannot get to kick over for the life of me. I can bump start it usually. I have had the cylinder and piston inspected by a Honda technician and he said it checked out, I have verified the intake and exhaust valves are within spec, checked the timing multiple times, rebuilt the carburetor, and preformed a leak down test with less than 10% leakage if I remember correctly, I replaced my piston rings anyways. With the leak down test I ran about 75-100 psi, I can hear a little bit of bubbling through the cam chain area but that's it. I have also installed a new spark plug and made sure it was sparking when kicked over. I have inspected and traced the wires from the kill switch also to make sure it was not shorting or grounding out. I have also checked the stator and gotten some Ohms reading similar to a few videos on YouTube but I do not have a manual to be certain. The bike had a rebuild prior and I will attach an image of the receipt. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    JimDirt

Re: Can't get 250R to kickstart. Need some ideas.

by JimDirt » Fri May 22, 2020 9:35 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It sounds like everything is within spec and recently done ..... The ONLY thing I did not see you mention in all that was the carburetor , if the bike has been sitting it is possible the Pilot Jet is clogged , or the Accelerator Pump Diaphragm is bad , also FRESH gas (old gas drained completely) is key to these things running good ....... but with all that was done , that was the only thing I did not see mentioned that could be a major factor ......
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    Teel

by Teel » Fri May 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Hey thanks for the reply Jim. I have rebuilt the carburetor with the All Balls 26-1006 Carburetor Rebuild Kit. I have drained and put in fresh fuel about a week ago. I spoke with another Honda service tech today and he mentioned that it could be 180 degrees off timing. I have checked multiple times that it is at TDC and the dashes are in line with the top of the head but I may be overlooking something. When I drained the oil to inspect the stator the oil was sort of milky red. I did see an extremely small amount of bright green coolant but that was it. I wouldn't imagine that would prevent it from at least trying to start.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri May 22, 2020 4:40 pm

For the 180 issue , check the large plug on the clutch side , there is a gear with a dot and on the case is a arrow , make sure when the (small plug ignition cover) flywheel mark is aligned , and the cam is facing 2 0 clock towards the rear with the slashes flat across on the gear AND the dot/arrow are aligned as well , that will confirm TDC in correct timing

As far as the coolant goes , that opens up a whole new issue , either the head or base gasket was compromised or one of the alignment dowels was not installed , which could allow a leak , ....... reading back on your first post you mentioned "bubbling" coming from the cam area , you should not hear any air or anything else escaping with the Leakdown test , which again would indicate a head gasket issue , which would cause the bike to be hard to start , and cause all sorts of symptoms .......... it is sounding more and more like a head or base gasket compromised (most likely head) , if this is the case I would think the shop would be responsible for this if the work was done recently (like the bike has not really been ridden since rebuild) ..... I am concerned that they let the bike be returned to you under those conditions , unless the bike was fine when returned and it was ridden for a while , and now the bike is having issues some time down the road .... you did not clarify how much time the bike had been run/ridden if any since rebuild , so I am just throwing things out there .....

The bike should not have air escaping , so this is a major concern , and I would suspect the cause of your issue ....., unless the bike was run and left overheating , that is the only way a new gasket would blow unless installed incorrectly , but since they replaced (what it seems to read on the repair order) the head , crank (could also be case half leaking) , , basically everything in and on the engine as far as wear parts , you should not be having this issue , unless the damage was done at a later time ..... but either way , I am thinking you are going to have to tear it down again , at the very least the head and cylinder need to come off , at worst , the case needs to be opened up and resealed , which basically involves tearing the entire engine apart .......
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    Teel

by Teel » Fri May 22, 2020 5:45 pm

I had just gotten the bike from my cousin who could not start it after he had all that work done. The guy at the shop told me he couldn't figure it out after the work either. I believe after the rebuild it has only been ridden probably 30 minutes. I am having another mechanic I know look at it tomorrow and I will relay your thoughts to him. I will update this thread with any information I get. If you want pictures of anything or have ideas just let me know.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri May 22, 2020 6:25 pm

Yea , I am curious as to what he may think , make sure to give detailed info , such as the coolant in oil and all , it all matters however insignificant you think it may be .... 8-[
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho