CRF 450 R into an L or to drive it on the road.
  • hotellinaweb

CRF 450 R into an L or to drive it on the road.

by hotellinaweb » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:27 am

Hi,

I bought by mistake a CRF 450 R(2013) plated and street legal but want to ride it on the road (I don't go in the dirt for racing).
    Now I heard that when used for racing it needs an oil change every 5 hrs plus a cleaning of the air filter.

What I would be looking for is a way to lower engine compression ratio to make it more durable.
    I already changed the rear sprocket to go on the highway but I still feel the engine is too nervous and too high powered.

1) Can I fit the engine from CRF 450 L into my R frame (450 R from 2013).
    2) I see that the 450 L has a 6th gear and three rings around the piston, and I also wonder if any of these things is applicable to my 450 R engine.

Best,

Aldo
  • Back2-2

Re: CRF 450 R into an L or to drive it on the road.

by Back2-2 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:28 am

Hello Aldo,

The short answer - Sell the "R" and buy an "L" or similar bike. There is no way you are going to make the 450R work for your intentions. It was not designed even remotely to be used as a street service ride. Save yourself the anguish of trying to make it something it is not.
    Learn for mistakes and move on.
    Neil
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
  • hotellinaweb

by hotellinaweb » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks Back2-2, I appreciate your honest and straight opinion.

I really like the bike and still curious to know if the L engine fits on this body frame, that's it.

Best,
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I am going to say it will not , as well , The cases are different , the platform is different (frame flex characteristics , wiring , suspension is completely different , etc.) , as Neil said , you are not going to make a R a street bike even if you could swap all the parts , they are built for a different purpose and have nothing in common except they both have 2 wheels and share the Honda name
    , what you will end up with , IF you could pull it off , would be a dirt bike that you could ride on the street , it will still handle like a dirt bike , it will still function like a dirt bike ...... The suspension will suck on the street , the bike will not handle well on the street (rake , trail .etc.)... Unless you have unlimited pockets , to attempt such a task would cost more than just buying a 450L outright and then when you sell the R , you will have a purpose built bike and some money in your pocket that you can either apply to the purchase , or stick back in the bank ......

As much as you "think" it will be cool to convert a R into a L of sorts ...... it won't ..... you will kick yourself for wasting the time and money for a poor at best , replica of a street purposed bike .... If you have tons of money to waste and throw away , you can make anything into anything , but unfortunately it will be a "look what I did" project without a actual purpose or use........

Sell the R and buy a L .... You will be much happier in the long run .......
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • hotellinaweb

by hotellinaweb » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:02 pm

Thank you JimDirt for sharing your opinion.