Inconsistent Clutch Engagement
  • 7G's

Inconsistent Clutch Engagement

by 7G's » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Hello All,

I"m new to the group and having just bought some used rides I had some questions I needed some help with. I noticed something what I consider unusual about the way my 2004 CRF250R's clutch engages. Keep in mind I am used to XRs and CRF250F style bikes so this may just be something with the way a racing bikes clutch engages, but when I release the clutch on the 250R there seems to be a spot where the clutch grabs and it almost feels like its fully engaged(almost feels a little gritty the way it pulls) then it lets off a little(could be me automatically feathering) then as I release the clutch fully away I go. Its not a smooth increase in the pulling power I would expect and have experienced with other clutches. There have only been 2 times(after riding a total of 6 hrs) where this caused me to stall. The bike pulls hard once the clutch is released

Additional info-not sure of any maintenance schedule on bike and and have not pulled the cover to look at it.

I am assuming a replacement is in order but was not sure if it could be a clutch basket or something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Gunnar

2004 CRF250R(Mine)
    2006 CRF230F(Sons)
  • 7G's

Re: Inconsistent Clutch Engagement

by 7G's » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:07 am

A quick update:

I realized after further reading that the engine oil and trans oil are separate and that I was very low on the trans side. I am assuming my clutch is toast or has had a shortened life but even after the oil change the clutch does feel better it still seems to engage in a ""chug"(no other way to describe it).

Any ideas?

Thank you

G
    Thank you

Gunnar

2004 CRF250R(Mine)
    2006 CRF230F(Sons)
    JimDirt

Re: Inconsistent Clutch Engagement

by JimDirt » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:57 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It sounds like your Clutch Basket is grooved , this would be the cause of the inconsistent feel , and the "grabby" feeling you are experiencing

This is what a worn clutch basket looks like (below) ....... You can try to file the grooves down , but this will only buy you some time
    as you can only do it once before the basket becomes "sloppy" , it will have to eventually be replaced , but you may get a season or more out of it depending on how you use or abuse the clutch , when you do replace the basket , install new clutch plates and disks ......... As far as the oil , what most of us do is run a full quart in the tranny side , and use the recommended amount in the engine side , doing this is not so much for the clutch , though it does assure that the clutch does not run dry , it is mainly for keeping the tranny gears submersed in oil as the cavity for the gears is very tight and the spinning of the gears causes cavitation and some have had 4th and /or 5th gear break due to overheating or bearing failure due to lack of oil , mainly if used in the desert or dual sporting where you are running in high gear for extended periods , but a lot of us run the full quart even if we don't do that , it wont hurt anything , and it gives a little insurance that the clutch wont run dry or overheat , as may be your case ....
    02 CRF450R
    06 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho