Is FMF a good exhaust choice?
    esaresky75

Is FMF a good exhaust choice?

by esaresky75 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:59 pm

07 450X
    JD Jet Kit
    Backfire screen & most of right side air box gone
    Tokyomods Smog Elimination Kit

Looking to upgrade the exhaust, hate the look of carbon fiber & don't want to spend a lot of money too. Looking at FMF Ti Powercore with the powerbomb header. Anyone else running this? Good, great, or bad?

Also, if I do go with this setup, what size main jet do I go to?
  • TBONE84SV

by TBONE84SV » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:47 pm

Check out the MRD pro comp exhaust i have one on my 450r man what a power increase. FMF and all the rest of the exhausts are over priced. mrd comes with a gaurantee if it gets damaged in any way dave will repair it for free. :shock:
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:59 am

Yes,
    FMF makes an outstanding product, they are all made in the US, and they stand behind what they sell. They don't make any junk .
    Their MegaBomb/PowerBomb headers are being copied by everyone, the idea being that you get long header torque and short header rpm,and it works.
    MRD does have some happy owners and a good reputation.
    Carbon Fiber is not the best choice for ruggedness or frequency of re-packing requirements anyway. Some love it and don't mind, so as in so many things it's whatever you like. Doug
    esaresky75

by esaresky75 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:00 pm

Thanks TBONE84SV. I checked them out, their standard system for the 450X is $429 vs FMF Ti Powercore with Powerbomb header at $435 (FMF's list price is much higher, but I got that price from a seller online). That's the same price basically. I'm still leaning towards the FMF for one reason: On my last bike, a CR250R, I had a Pro Circuit pipe/silencer then I tried a FMF (I think it was a Fatty) and I liked the mid-high much better.
    Kiwi

by Kiwi » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:19 pm

I have a 2007 450X fit with a Pro Circuit muffer and everything looks, sounds, and fits well. With that said, I would have been happy to put on an FMF as well. As for power output, there's probably not a huge difference between any of the top manufacturers.

I was told that while titianium or carbon fiber are lighter than stainless steel, the SS part is far stronger and will last much longer. On a race bike I understand the need to shave every last ounce of weight, but for most riders needs, the stainless is likely a better choice (and is cheaper too).

As for a header pipe, I was told that standard style aftermarket pipes don't do much for the 2007 450X ... in other words, not really worth the price to upgrade (unless you dented/broke your stock pipe and needed a new one anyway). However, I can't speak for "bomb" type header pipes. In theory the idea makes sense. Yet, there are many aftermarket products that seem to make sense ... but don't result in much of a noticable gain (marketing at its best!).

If enough 450X owners with a "bomb" header pipe chime in to say that it makes a real difference, I would be willing to step up and buy one. Otherwise, if reviews say "it makes a little difference" or "I could kinda feel something", then I'll pass.
    2007 CRF450X with modified airbox, Uni filter w/no backfire screen, NCVS needle on 4th, 172 main, CRFs fuel screw at 2, Boyesen QS3, stock smog, 450R cam, FMF Megabomb header, Pro Circuit T-4 muffler, Pro Taper Evo bars, AS suspension
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:43 pm

I'm with you on "perceived" improvements too kiwi.
    However, the "bomb" type do give a boost,and a big time one at that. While dynos show a boost with them on the top as well, they also show...and the rider feels...a major increase in off-idle torque. It flat works.
    Also, there have been many,many dyno reports not from the manufacturer that show improvemnts in power and torque,and top to bottom to boot.
    I've seen them for 450X's for instance that show nearly a full horsepower (.8) minimal gain top to bottom with mid-range gains in the .8-3.7 hp range,and that's not insignificant.
    Some bikes are more affected than others. FMF's 4.1 slip-on for the 09450R for instance had a nearly 5(!) hp gain in the mid-range, with a slow increase in power from 8500 to rev-limiter, where stock it was totally flat,and at least .5hp weaker.
    Yes, pipes are expensive, yes we don't need all the power anyway, but who cares? Most look bitchin', sound better and that's not necessarily louder either, and we do this for fun. :lol:
    A good name brand exhaust system will provide a nice boost and you can feel it, as long as the jetting matches the pipe.
    Also, Don Emler from FMF is an American sucess story we should all be proud of.He stayed a 'garage' guy for years, he built a great company selling American products throughout the world. If you call FMF you'll get personal service.
    He has nothing to apologize for because he doesn't work out of a garage any longer. Doug
    Last edited by dobent4@yahoo.com on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Kiwi

by Kiwi » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:13 pm

When I had my Honda CR250R 2-stroke I replaced the traditional aftermarket pipe (don't remember which brand ... Pro Circuit or FMF or ??) with an FMF "Gnarly" pipe that was specifically designed to boost low/mid rpm torque. Without a doubt, the bike had more juice out of the corners and more easily wheelied.

With the expense of an aftermarket pipe, many folks aren't eager to run out and buy pipe assuming that the bike is otherwise running fine. However, if their bike's pipe gets crunched (thus requiring the purchase of a new pipe) it is the perfect time to upgrade.
    2007 CRF450X with modified airbox, Uni filter w/no backfire screen, NCVS needle on 4th, 172 main, CRFs fuel screw at 2, Boyesen QS3, stock smog, 450R cam, FMF Megabomb header, Pro Circuit T-4 muffler, Pro Taper Evo bars, AS suspension
  • TBONE84SV

by TBONE84SV » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:16 am

You cant compare a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke on the way a exhaust pipe functions. :shock:
    Kiwi

by Kiwi » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:52 pm

This I know, TBONE84SV. Totally different function concepts between the two styles of engines.

But with that said, a "bomb" type head pipe for a race 4-stroke is (to some degree) like a very small version of an expansion chamber-type pipe ... so there is that similarity (albeit at a much lower level) to a 2-stroke pipe.