torque specs for fork clamps?
    el baja

torque specs for fork clamps?

by el baja » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Going to install some seal saver in tomorrow,but i don't know the torque amount for the 8 bolts that clamp them together. does someone know this information?and how do i go about taking everything apart? do i have to remove the front wheel? whats invalved in doing this?
    RLPII

by RLPII » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:30 am

Going to install some seal saver in tomorrow,but i don't know the torque amount for the 8 bolts that clamp them together. does someone know this information?and how do i go about taking everything apart? do i have to remove the front wheel? whats invalved in doing this?

According to the manual for the 2003-2005 CRF 230 F, the torque for those bolts is:

Fork Top Bridge pinch bolts (27 N.m, or 2.8 kgf.m, or 20 lbf.ft)

Fork Bottom Bridge pinch bolts (32 N.m, or 3.3 kgf.m, or 24 lbf.ft)

Front Axle (74 N.m, or 7.5 kgf.m, or 54 lbf.ft)

Front Axle holder nuts (12 N.m, or 1.2 kgf.m, or 9 lbf.ft)

I've never done this on my CRF, but I helped a friend work on his KTM shocks and we did take off the front wheel. As for taking apart the shocks, I would suggest that you invest in a shop manual (about $50.00 new) if you are going to do much work on the bike yourself as it has diagrams and step by step instructions.
    Hope this helps and good luck!
    el baja

by el baja » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:11 pm

thanks for the info, and yeah i'll see about getting a manual ....what would happen if you go over that..(torque specs..mines were like 40lbs. when i check them to take them off,so i just put them back at that..
    RLPII

by RLPII » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:11 pm

thanks for the info, and yeah i'll see about getting a manual ....what would happen if you go over that..(torque specs..mines were like 40lbs. when i check them to take them off,so i just put them back at that..

I'm not sure of all the problems it could cause, but 2 come to mind; 1.) You could strip the bolts, and 2.) you could crush the shock tubes which could cause them to malfunction.........could be more problems, but those are the two that I can think of?

:?
    el baja

by el baja » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:48 pm

ok i'm going to undo them and re-torque them and i'll keep an eye on them on my next ride....but 20 & 24 seem very low torque amount...but hey someone went to school to figure all that out so guess i'll give it a try see how they feel with that torque amounts....

THANKS RLPII,
    RLPII

by RLPII » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:26 pm

No problem, hope it works out for you!

By the way, nice job on the bike! Looks Great! :!: :!: