CRF300L cannot run without battery
  • shadow338

CRF300L cannot run without battery

by shadow338 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:49 am

Hi,

I have a new 2021 CRF300L (100% OEM no mods) and I just discovered recently (after the OEM battery died) if I jump start the bike it not does not stay running without any battery installed.

For litter bikes with multiple electronic mods installed I can understand this but for a tiny 300cc bike?

Is this expected or my new bike as a alternator issue?

Thanks in advance.
  • Back2-2

Re: CRF300L cannot run without battery

by Back2-2 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:56 am

First - I would contact the dealer for a battery replacement on a 2021 motorcycle. Second, and to answer your question. You cannot disconnect the battery while running because the battery needs to be inline to complete the circuit. Regardless of the size or brand of the bike that is a modern solid-state ignition requirement.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • shadow338

by shadow338 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:41 am

First - I would contact the dealer for a battery replacement on a 2021 motorcycle. Second, and to answer your question. You cannot disconnect the battery while running because the battery needs to be inline to complete the circuit. Regardless of the size or brand of the bike that is a modern solid-state ignition requirement.
    well, here's something that I learned today. yes I'm in the talks with the dealer to get it replaced. I'm gonna re-check today again if I can jump start with the battery in then and report.
  • shadow338

by shadow338 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:48 am

This is interesting as in cars this is definitely not the case. It's even sometimes advised that the battery is disconnected to in order to be able to jump start properly. I will test this today again though with the battery connected. Thanks.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:17 am

Not a modern car.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:29 pm

And definitely not a car or bike with an alternator, so everything since 1970.
    You can easily end up with a fried regulator by leaving battery out of circuit as alternator has no reference voltage from battery so keeps upping the voltage till something gives off smoke.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • shadow338

by shadow338 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:52 pm

And definitely not a car or bike with an alternator, so everything since 1970.
    You can easily end up with a fried regulator by leaving battery out of circuit as alternator has no reference voltage from battery so keeps upping the voltage till something gives off smoke.
    Good to know! thanks.
  • shadow338

by shadow338 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:31 pm

So I tried to jumpstart the bike with the battery connected and the bike does not hold. I double checked the battery terminals, sanded them a bit and tested connectivity and all looks good there.

Does this means that there is something fundamentally wrong with the battery? I tried to charge the battery with a 3A charger and the charger does not even start charging which tells me there is something really wrong with it.

Can this suddenly really happen to a battery?
    Is there a "hack" to keep the bike running if something like this happens? (like in a very remote location :cry: ).

Thanks!
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:53 am

If the battery is really flat a modern battery charger won't sense there is a battery there so won't commence charge cycle.

Sounding like battery is bad condition.
    Do you know what voltage it is currently?
    Have you checked the fuses on the bike?

You can try getting the charger to start by putting another battery in parallel.
    The idea is the charger senses the voltage from the good battery and commences charging. After a little while remove good battery.
    After charging go have battery tested to see if it can supply enough current or it needs to be recycled.

If the battery is bad then it is time for a quality agm. Heavier yeah , but the weight saving is not that huge.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • shadow338

by shadow338 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:00 am

If the battery is really flat a modern battery charger won't sense there is a battery there so won't commence charge cycle.

Sounding like battery is bad condition.
    Do you know what voltage it is currently?
    Have you checked the fuses on the bike?

You can try getting the charger to start by putting another battery in parallel.
    The idea is the charger senses the voltage from the good battery and commences charging. After a little while remove good battery.
    After charging go have battery tested to see if it can supply enough current or it needs to be recycled.

If the battery is bad then it is time for a quality agm. Heavier yeah , but the weight saving is not that huge.
    hi Ray, the battery is showing 0 volts when checking with a multimeter. I don't suspect of a fuse because the jumpstart works. That's a good idea, connecting 2 batteries and try to charge them that way. Gonna try that later. Thanks.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:47 am

The first thing you should do is check the battery voltage static with no draw. Then watch it as you try and start the bike and see what it drops to. Sounds like a bad battery and yes, they can just go bad. No, there is no "hack" to save you if this happens other than jump or push-start the bike.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
  • shadow338

by shadow338 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:00 am

The first thing you should do is check the battery voltage static with no draw. Then watch it as you try and start the bike and see what it drops to. Sounds like a bad battery and yes, they can just go bad. No, there is no "hack" to save you if this happens other than jump or push-start the bike.
    But how jumping or push-start the bike will work if the bike does not stay running with the dead battery?
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:41 am

It won't, if the battery is shorted internally. It will,l if it's just a dead or a close to dead battery. There are plates that short internally and make the direct short just that - a short. Then there are batteries that lose their ability to hold a charge due to sulfation. Two different things.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:30 pm

If your old battery is zero volts, it is open circuit internally and should be replaced. Trying to make it run with the old battery will end up with costly repairs to other parts of charging circuit.

So either the dealer replaces it because it is a new bike or you do if they won't.

With the new battery installed checks need to be made to ensure charging system is working.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In