How to get ride of weight on a CRF300L advise (Lion batt and/or exhaust?)
  • shadow338

How to get ride of weight on a CRF300L advise (Lion batt and/or exhaust?)

by shadow338 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:29 am

Hello,

New owner here of a 2021 CRF300L and new to this forum as well. I'm in the market for a Lithium Ion Battery. Does anyone have any recommendation and concerns in terms of fitting modifications etc?

Also, which other things I can replace to reduce the weight of the bike? My first thought was the OEM exhaust but I don't want to end up with a loud and obnoxious bike.

Is there a lighter exhaust replacement that can still keep the bike fairly quiet and also that does not require the ECU to be remapped?

Note: The bike is totally OEM at this point. (No mods)

Thanks in advance.
  • Back2-2

Re: How to get ride of weight on a CRF300L advise (Lion batt and/or exhaust?)

by Back2-2 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:04 am

I HAD a Shorie in my 450. Now it has moved to one of the other bikes. It is almost 8 years old and still going. The reason I do not have it in the 450 is due to it not being very good for cranking the bike 450 when below 45F.
    They are very expensive and they certainly save weight. But it's a toss-up as to whether it's worth it or not. It is not for me and I will not be buying any other Li or lithium Iron batteries. AGM's are super reasonable on Walmart.com and give very good service.
    Saving weight on a bike like you have is really kind of a futile investment, in my opinion. You will not feel a difference in a few pounds loss on that bike.
    Again, just my opinion. If money is no object - could to Ti parts and really get down some weight. Or, put the cookies & beer down and really see some weight loss. :D
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:20 pm

Neil,
    Agree with cookies and beer comment for most people.
    Getting rider weight down is something we as riders do have some control over, lol. Cheaper than titanium too.
    Not saying it is the case in this instance.

When trail riding kept tool kit and spares down low on the bike instead of back pack. Did have a water bladder though.

Keeping any weight down lower will make bike easier to ride.

The light bike weight is definitely something the two strokes had an advantage in.

I don't think I have ever come across an aftermarket exhaust that was quiet.
    Aren't they labelled nowadays with the dBA so you can compare to stock?
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:16 pm

Hi Ray,
    Ya, take it from a guy that has lost 48 libs over the last five months cutting out the beer & Cheetos. :shock: :o
    Not sure how it got that far out of hand but it did and it was time to get it back in check.

Agree 100% on having weight as low as possible and those are great suggestions. Yes, the aftermarket exhausts should state a DB. They will cut some weight but will increase sound to some degree. Some of the weight loss is due to AM's being aluminum outers compared to steel, the rest is from lack of baffles.
    Ti parts are incredibly and super lightweight and super strong, but also incredibly expensive. Not feasible unless you have unlimited funds and or can manufacture some of the parts yourself. Fun to talk about though - kind of like carbon fiber parts. :D
    The modern 2 strokes are super light if a person really wants or needs a lighter bike - Nice bikes.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200