CRF250l
  • 2WheelJohn

CRF250l

by 2WheelJohn » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:26 pm

What's the best gearing for a mostly on road setup? I take the highway to get to work and I'd like a lower rpm while commuting. But id also like to keep it capable off-road.
    JimDirt

Re: CRF250l

by JimDirt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:08 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

What is your current RPM at the main speed you commute ???? , The main issue is , the more you gear it for lower RPM , the less "off road" worthy the bike will become on anything but a fire road , it will also play havoc on your clutch , even on the street , as you will have to slip the clutch the higher you gear it , which can cause the bike to overheat ......... I would suggest trying 1 or 2 teeth at most on the rear (smaller) and see where that leaves you ...... basically you are going to have to experiment , since the stock gearing "should" be optimal for light off road use and for street use ( the main function of the bike is street so they set it up to work best in that environment) ....

Unfortunately , there is not a , "gear it like this and you are good" reply ... as every rider has their own needs and preferences .... but sometimes , what you want might not be the best solution and could cause issues either now , or down the road (no pun intended) , if at 2 teeth on the rear and you are not satisfied , then you could go 1 size larger on the front , but be careful , as the chain could hit the case , and you will have to move your rear wheel far forward ... so you may encounter rubbing issues ...... basically do not stray far from where you are , the more you do , the more complications and compromises you will encounter ......

Here is a gearing chart to help guide you on choices and what they do , the chart will not calculate speed etc. as that has multiple factors affecting it , such as tire size , transmission gearing , etc.

2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:50 am

Try one tooth larger on the front sprocket. I ran a 14T front for quite a while on my 450 and found it worked really well for steet and high speed desert riding. Only lost the real slow tractor crawling ability. I could ride to off-road areas on the street and maintain 65+ mph really easily without winding the bike out.
    I am back to the OEM 13T for where I am living now due to much tighter slower single track riding. With the 13T I can still ride down to the gas station and cruise at 50ish mph.
    Simple and very reasonable price to try the 14T. Very easy to change over also.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:44 am

We offer a Gear - RPM - Speed Calculator to help you with final drive gearing choices:

https://www.crfsonly.com/howto/gearing/ ... ulator.php

Ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com