Crf 250l first gear wont catch help!!
  • Joshb221

Crf 250l first gear wont catch help!!

by Joshb221 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:25 pm

Hey guys today I went trail riding and when I was riding I attempted to do a power slide and the bike dropped and hit the floor on the side the shifter is on. The shifter was pointed up and stuck at a weird point. I bent it back it runs threw all gears the only weird problem is that it wont catch in first gear. When I usually kick it down to first it locks in and I cant kick it down any more. Now after me being a dumbass (inspired by red foreman) and dropping it Every time i kick down into first it wont lock in gear. I have no idea what to do lol I’m pretty good with my hands I’ve worked on a number of bikes before. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks 
    JimDirt

Re: Crf 250l first gear wont catch help!!

by JimDirt » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:20 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Unfortunately , it sounds like you either bent the shift fork , or possibly damaged the shift drum ..... The only other "hopeful" choice is , on the clutch side , when you take off the side cover , there is a shift actuator , if it skipped out and is on one side of the detent , it might be the issue , or the shaft for the shifter (that goes to that actuator) which goes from one side of the engine to the other , and it might have bent and is not allowing the actuator to engage all the way , Hopefully you have a manual for it , preferably the Honda Factory Service Manual , as it will be the only one that will show you what to check and how to check it .... unfortunately , if it is the shift fork or drum , the entire engine has to come apart and the cases split ..........
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:50 am

Obviously you bent either the shift fork internally or if lucky just bent the shift shaft. The shift shaft being bent has that effect you are describing. It will be tough to see if that is what is bent but well worth looking into. Possibly can tell by looking at the shaft seal and alignment of the circumference. You may be able to use a pipe with leverage to bend it back but caution has to be used as to not break the case. Happens to many people on many types of bikes. Usually a folding shift lever tip saves that from happening but always. As Jim stated - a service manual is a must to see what you are dealing with. Good luck.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Joshb221

by Joshb221 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:18 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Unfortunately , it sounds like you either bent the shift fork , or possibly damaged the shift drum ..... The only other "hopeful" choice is , on the clutch side , when you take off the side cover , there is a shift actuator , if it skipped out and is on one side of the detent , it might be the issue , or the shaft for the shifter (that goes to that actuator) which goes from one side of the engine to the other , and it might have bent and is not allowing the actuator to engage all the way , Hopefully you have a manual for it , preferably the Honda Factory Service Manual , as it will be the only one that will show you what to check and how to check it .... unfortunately , if it is the shift fork or drum , the entire engine has to come apart and the cases split ..........

Thanks I’ll give it a look tomorrow and see what I should do. At least I kind of know what to start looking up in the manual much appreciated.
  • Joshb221

by Joshb221 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:21 am

Obviously you bent either the shift fork internally or if lucky just bent the shift shaft. The shift shaft being bent has that effect you are describing. It will be tough to see if that is what is bent but well worth looking into. Possibly can tell by looking at the shaft seal and alignment of the circumference. You may be able to use a pipe with leverage to bend it back but caution has to be used as to not break the case. Happens to many people on many types of bikes. Usually a folding shift lever tip saves that from happening but always. As Jim stated - a service manual is a must to see what you are dealing with. Good luck.
    Thanks I’m looking into it now. The shift shaft did look a little bent down maybe by a cm. It’s still really hard to tell. Quick question would you say i should not ride it while its like this?