Left hand rear brake (LHRB) options?
  • jsb

Left hand rear brake (LHRB) options?

by jsb » Sun May 17, 2020 10:01 am

Due to a sciatic nerve damaging surgery, I have a right leg that can't really operate the foot brake. So, I'm looking for the subject. I might prefer a RHRB, but I don't see the handlebar mounting space.
    I like the simplicity of the Ox-brake system, but I don't find a CRF250L kit.
    Is it possible to direct swap out for a CRF R or X rear brake cylinder with integral fluid reservoir so their kit will work?
    Anyone just installed a double banjo bolt into the rear brake cylinder and run another brake hose to a cheap brake master cylinder mounted to the handlebar?
    Thanks.
    JimDirt

Re: Left hand rear brake (LHRB) options?

by JimDirt » Mon May 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

The only source I know of is to contact Rekluse and see if they have a setup to work on your bike , I am sure if they don't already have one , they can make one up special for you (not sure of the cost) ..... That would be the only place I know of that would have a LHRB , as it is frequently used with their Auto Clutch systems ....

https://rekluse.com/contact-us/
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Noltez

by Noltez » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:48 am

Due to a sciatic nerve damaging surgery, I have a right leg that can't really operate the foot brake. So, I'm looking for the subject. I might prefer a RHRB, but I don't see the handlebar mounting space.
    I like the simplicity of the Ox-brake system, but I don't find a CRF250L kit.
    Is it possible to direct swap out for a CRF R or X rear brake cylinder with integral fluid reservoir so their kit will work?
    Anyone just installed a double banjo bolt into the rear brake cylinder and run another brake hose to a cheap brake master cylinder mounted to the handlebar?
    Thanks.
    You can't really just run a double banjo to the rear due to volume differences. You would end up with a mushy lever. Simplified, cars have 2 chamber sizes in their masters to deal with different size calipers (or drums). You might try nabbing a front master & lever from a dual front disc bike like a CBR, then doing a dual banjo up front with a custom rear hydraulic line. You'd need a proportioning valve in that custom line to adjust how much pressure ratio the rear gets. And you'd likely end up with a firmer than stock lever feel (due to the master being sized for 2 large front calipers and not 1 front and 1 rear). Then tune it with the proportioning valve. This would also disable the RH pedal brake & require you to remove the rear master cylinder from the bike.

Doesnt the Goldwing activate both brakes together?
  • jsb

by jsb » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:40 pm

Thank you both. Work has kept me busy, so no further progress yet. I still need to think through your recommendations.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:53 am

Polaris ATV's use a single handle bar brake lever to activate both front & rear disc brakes. Might look into that set-up.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200