2014 CRF250L Wont start
  • Albireo

2014 CRF250L Wont start

by Albireo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi gents and ladies, I've had my bike for a few years and never really rode it.
    I have little use of my feet and its difficult to shift the bike for me so its been sitting all but ~250 miles of driving.
    It was kept in my small shed and sometime during this last winter it fell over and got wet. i didn't notice till January and been working on it for a couple months trying to get it started again.

I've already replaced the sparkplug, injector, coil, tank, fuel pump, and battery.

All have been checked working:
    I have good spark
    Injector spurts gas (has 12v strong coming in)
    pump sprays gas like a fountain without injector in line
    Has compression
    Timing was checked and is flawless
    It turns over fine and strong
    Wont start or even try to, like there's no combustion.

emptied battery several times cranking it, replaced battery twice.

The only thing I can't find good info is what the injector spray should look like.
    i have tried 3 injectors all kinda sputter but are new and clean and will wet your hand with gas pretty quick after a few sprays.
    What the heck am I missing?
    JimDirt

Re: 2014 CRF250L Wont start

by JimDirt » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:27 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Question ..... are you trying to start it with the kickstand down ??? , the engine will not run with the kickstand down , there is a safety switch on it , pretty much like the clutch lever switch ..... not sure if it will crank with it down , but if it is running and you put the stand down it will kill the engine , so I am thinking if its down it may crank but not run ......since you did not give a detailed starting procedure , that is the first thing that pops into my head :-k

Also , it may sound dumb , but did you make sure the kill switch was set to RUN ??

Also , just thinking about it , the bike has a Tip Over Sensor ...if the bike falls over the system has to be reset .....

Do this:
    have the ignition switch on , then , turn the ignition switch off , then on again , see if it starts after that
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Noltez

Re: 2014 CRF250L Wont start

by Noltez » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:59 am

It was kept in my small shed and sometime during this last winter it fell over and got wet. i didn't notice till January and been working on it for a couple months trying to get it started again.

I've already replaced the sparkplug, injector, coil, tank, fuel pump, and battery.

All have been checked working:
    I have good spark
    Injector spurts gas (has 12v strong coming in)
    pump sprays gas like a fountain without injector in line
    Has compression
    Timing was checked and is flawless
    It turns over fine and strong
    Wont start or even try to, like there's no combustion.

emptied battery several times cranking it, replaced battery twice.

The only thing I can't find good info is what the injector spray should look like.
    i have tried 3 injectors all kinda sputter but are new and clean and will wet your hand with gas pretty quick after a few sprays.
    What the heck am I missing?
    My next step would be to try a brand new plug (I know you have tested it in the air but if its shorted or cracked you might be losing your spark internally). After that I'd squirt a little bit of brake parts cleaner in the throttle body while cranking it. Its possible the fuel pump pressure isn't high enough to spray properly. Also, silly question, but after sitting I always drain and refill the tank completely.

Is your check engine light on while cranking it?