New ‘17 Rally Owner To The Forum | Fuel Economy Q
  • Matdaymon

New ‘17 Rally Owner To The Forum | Fuel Economy Q

by Matdaymon » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:29 pm

Hi all,
    New to the forums but have owned my CRF-Rally for little over a year.
    With all that’s going on in the world I’ve been fantasising a lot about nodding my bike with changing the gearing being probably the one I’m going to go with first followed by a set of more aggressive tyres and the usual suspension mods.

My question is how majorly does dropping to a 13T sprocket (staying 40T rear) affect highway economy?

I currently get around 250km to a tank with the amount of highway riding I do so I’m curious to see how much of a drop in economy a 13T has.

TIA
    2017 CRF250L RALLY
    www.onthrottle.co.nz
    JimDirt

Re: New ‘17 Rally Owner To The Forum | Fuel Economy Q

by JimDirt » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:02 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Dropping the front sprocket 1 tooth is equivalent to dropping 3 on the rear , so it will affect the mileage as well as your overall top speed ... What is it you are trying to achieve by dropping the gearing ?? , is the bike struggling in slower traffic situations and overworking the clutch ?? , or are you planning on trail riding more and need it to run at a slower pace overall ??

The drop will not change your mileage much if you ride at a slower pace and keep the RPM's down where they were at regular gearing , it will change , but not dramatically , however if you choose to ride at the same pace/speed with the lower gearing your RPM's will be higher at the same speed , and you will dramatically drop mileage , just like you would if you were going faster or riding more aggressively with the current gearing , if you are looking for a small difference , then I would swap the rear first , go 1 tooth at a time till you get the desired results you are looking for ..... and doing it that way , you can always compromise between the 2 extremes , instead of changing 3 teeth at once , you just go 1 , then maybe another , then maybe another till you get what you want , but this way you will be able to ride and see what each suttle change makes , because overall , 1 tooth can make a big difference , depending on your needs ....

Here is a gearing chart to help you decipher what changes are made with each sprocket change , front and/or rear , just cross the 2 gear numbers you are questioning and it will give you the overall gear ratio , you can compare that to your stock gearing ratio and decide what is best , my personal opinion is the feel , by trying 1 tooth on the rear and see what physical difference you notice good and bad , that will give you a good indication of how far you want to go , but keep in the back of your mind that 1 tooth on the front is like changing 3 on the rear

2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho