Fitting an SAE battery tender lead
  • JaseUK

Fitting an SAE battery tender lead

by JaseUK » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:18 am

I'm new to the forums and have only just recently purchased a 2019 CRF 250L
    I am wanting to fit an SAE lead to the battery so I can keep it charged using an optimate charger.
    I have the lead but wanted to see if anyone else had done this and had any tips. I presume the lead can also be used for jump starting the bike and attaching otehr things such as heated clothing?
    thanks
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: Fitting an SAE battery tender lead

by Aussiecrf230 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Generally the remote charging leads are only designed for say an amp at most from a trickle charger.

Look at the size of the wire going to the stater motor to give you an idea of how big the cable needs to be if you want to jumpstart.

As far as heated clothing goes one again it depends on the current draw.
    How much your stator outputs to keep the battery charged when riding is the other issue. Normally electric clothing would say wattage required. Divide figure by 12(volts) to work out the current.

Hope that helps.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • JaseUK

by JaseUK » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:24 am

I have an Optimate 4 charger that came with a cable that is meant to attach to the battery. It has an in-line fuse also. My intention is to attach this to the battery terminals that way it will be easier to attach the trickle charger.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:28 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I use the plug you are referring to on my 450X as well as my ATV , what is nice about it is by using the same plug (covered male ,exposed female spades) you can leave it hanging without fear of it shorting out , and you can plug in the opposing end to a accessory and not have to lift the seat , then also have the added bonus of being able to charge without doing anything except plugging it in ....... The limitations are the output of your charging system , as Ray mentioned , if the appliance you are trying to connect is a higher output than your system , then you can overheat the plug/wire and cause it to short out and/or fry something in the system , including what you plugged it into

So the plugs work great , you just need to be aware of voltage and amp draw before using it , especially if it is more than just a minute or so .....

This is the plug I am referring to
    Image Image
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:31 pm

Jim,
    Yeah, my lead is similar just a different end to the plug going to the charger.
    Like everything each brand does it their own way.

JaseUK,
    Can you post a picture of the lead end on yours or let us know if the same as Jims.

Using it to trickle charge your battery means it will have longer life.
    Keeping it fully charged means never having to jump start.
    If the battery is flat though (forget to plug it in) take the battery out and charge on a proper charger.
    If battery dies replace it even though you can jump start, it will kill your charging system in the bike otherwise.

I got 7 years out of a Yuasa in the 230 with a trickle charger.

Do you have a handbook for your bike giving you the output of the stator?
    We can then workout how much is available for lights and heating grips/clothing etc.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas