2004 CRF250X throttle cable replacement
  • jvale

2004 CRF250X throttle cable replacement

by jvale » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:00 am

Hello everyone! I'm trying to replace the throttle cable on my 2004 CRF250X and from what I've read most people have issues getting the airbox boot back in the carb, but I'm having the exact opposite issue: the boot won't come off so that I can lift the subframe.

I've removed the seat, side covers, muffler, tank and battery (as per the manual), loosened airbox boot band screw nearly all the way out, loosened top subframe bolt and removed the bottom ones. When I try to lift the subframe I can see the the whole airbox-carb block move, tried helping by pulling the tab on the bottom of the boot but it won't come off. Is there any trick to this or it's just brute strength and I'm just being too nice to it? Is this something that can get seized over time (poor thing has been a bit neglected the past few years)?

Thank you!
    JimDirt

Re: 2004 CRF250X throttle cable replacement

by JimDirt » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:27 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It most likely is stiff , what you can try , is use a hair dryer , on hot and get it as close to the flange as possible , then push on the boot and see if it feels softer , then try to pull it off .... what also works is to get a long flat small tip screwdriver , and go from the shifter side from the bottom and try to wiggle the lip open a little (basically wedging the screwdriver into the seal where it meets the carb body) , then go from the brake side (with the tank off) and come in from the top and do the same , all you need to do is twist the screwdriver a little and wiggle it , to break the seal , then it should pull right off , you can also spray a little WD-40 where you have the screwdriver wedged in , , but usually the hair dryer works (you don't really want to use a heat gun because it will get too hot , so the hairdryer usually is sufficient ...

Once you get it off , before reinstalling it , take some wheel bearing grease and coat the inside lip of the boot , just a light coating , then you should not have that issue the next time ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • jvale

by jvale » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:34 pm

Hair dryer was a great tip! That and some prying around and I managed to remove it 🥳 

For future reference for anyone who finds this, for putting it back in place I also used the hair dryer, added a tiny bit of grease and had to poke it a bit from pretty much every conceivable angle to get it into place.

It's quite a chore, but mission accomplished, thanks for the help!
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:03 pm

No problem , glad I could help ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho