2006 Crf250x Project Bike Questions
  • Bernrubbr

2006 Crf250x Project Bike Questions

by Bernrubbr » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:23 pm

Hey all, longtime lurker first time poster. I picked up a ‘06 Ctf250x on the cheap a few days ago. Good news is that it was cheap, bad news is that engine came partially rebuilt in a large bin.

Cases are back together, according to new owner he replaced bearings, seals, etc. Head is completely disassembled, everything on right side of case disasembled and just hucked into bin.

After digging through the forums a little I kind of have general plan, please let me know what you think.

-Order Honda service manual

-Send head off for full rebuild/machining with SS intake valves or purchase new head With SS intake valves?

-clean, sort, and reassemble rest of rightside crankcase, order parts as needed.

-New piston and rings(came with bike), crosshatching visible on jug.

-Need to figure out how to clean right side crankcase area, roll the dice on not splitting cases to clean? It’s been sitting in a dusty area, so not that clean. Work that PO did looks OK.

-deal with all the miscellaneous odds and ends of a neglected dirt bike after motor is running or while waiting on parts.

I’m in no rush on this, have a dr350 to ride during this project. I’m not a mechanic by any means, hopefully get it back together if I go slow enough. My main worry is not having the experience to spot things that would throw up red flags for someone who knows what they are doing. Anyhow, any advice is appreciated, let me know what you think.
    JimDirt

Re: 2006 Crf250x Project Bike Questions

by JimDirt » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:06 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It sounds like you have covered most things .... What I would add , is look the clutch basket over for grooving , if it is grooved , it is eventually going to need replacing , you can file it down to limp it along for a while (maybe 1 riding season) , but eventually the grooving will come back as the plates will have more room to slop back/forth because of filing it

As far as the clutch side of the case , you can use brake cleaner and some air to clear it out of debris , wipe out what you can , then spray the cleaner , then wipe , then spray again , till you don't notice any dirt .... then let it dry and blow with air to get into any crevice you may have missed , like near the seals , etc , , I would also tear into the carb , pull the bowl and see how it looks inside , if it is green , or shows any signs of dirt or contamination , then I would clean it thoroughly , if there is any remaining gas in the tank , drain it , and wait till you are ready to run it again , before buying any for it , you always want FRESH gas in these bikes
    , if it sat for more than 2 months , most likely the gas is bad and the carb/jets clogged .......... other than that , it sounds like you have thought everything out and are on the right track ........ Good luck .... and if you have any concerns or more questions , just ask ..... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:41 pm

Wll the only thing I will add is if the engine is out and you have the time, then would go through and regrease suspension front and rear as well as wheel bearings.
    Probably needs doing or at least checking.

No point getting it running and have to stop to do normal maintenance.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Bernrubbr

by Bernrubbr » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:27 am

Thanks for the replies, definitely going to lube linkages and bearings. Yeah, I’m assuming the carb is going to need a complete disassembly and cleaning. I’m not sure how long the bike was sitting but looks like at least a year if not significantly longer. I’ll probably have some more questions as I get into it, thanks for your help.
  • Bernrubbr

by Bernrubbr » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Well, ran into first hurdle. Chip on the case where I believe is the clutch activation lever enters. Attached a photo, anyone want to weigh in on how critical this is as far as long term reliability?

Also missing the rocker arm and some Kickstarter gears and components. Anyone have any recommendations for ordering OEM Honda parts?

I’m going to send the head into CRF’s only for the valve work after the bottom end is 100 percent. Trying to break this up into small pieces and do a little at a time...
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:52 pm

That's a 3M Epoxy Patch or JB weld fix. You could have it TIG welded and that re-cut the seal recess but that will get expensive. I'm a TIG Weldor myself and I would still epoxy patch it. There is very little area that is not supported even as it is. Just for esthetics I would fix it. Patch, file,sand & paint with a new seal.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Bernrubbr

by Bernrubbr » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:48 am

Thanks Neil, going to patch it up with some JB Weld and call it good.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:55 am

Here is what I would do then - Put a plastic or some kind of backing where the seal will be riding / touching the new formed area before applying the JB. That will give the new seal if you decide to use a new seal a nice surface area to ride against.
    Another option and makes for a perfect seal is to install the new seal before applying the JB. The JD will form around the rubber of the outer seals surface and make it part of the bond. That only drawback of that is if you ever need to replace that seal, without careful removal could chip the JB patch area. Probably not but possible. It's highly unlikely that you will ever need to replace the clutch activation seal but it could happen. It is also very probable that the seal you have is fine. But if it were me and I was already making an order of parts I would add a new seal to the list just to e;eliminate going to the work of rebuilding that area only to find I have a bad seal.

Hope that helps a little.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Bernrubbr

by Bernrubbr » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:45 am

Thanks Neil, that definitely helps.

Watcha all think, yay or nay on this piston. It came with the bike, skirt coating is damaged on one side. Obviously I would prefer to use it to save money, but not if it is going to cause reliability issues and end up having to be replaced or cause other damage. Photos attached, any advice appreciated.

I got the (almost) complete basket case bike for $300, so not the end of the world if I need to order another piston. My goal is to get it up and running for $1500 and have a fully rebuilt engine, we’ll see.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:15 pm

My personal opinion is this and keep in mind that I try to fix, repair and improve everything - It's the engineer in me.

But that said, I would buy a new OEM Honda piston and rings and use that one as a shop decoration. You got a great deal. Don't skimp out on a critical piece of the rebuild. Don't forget - Rings too!

Good luck & look forward to following the build.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
  • Bernrubbr

by Bernrubbr » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:17 am

I’m with you, part of the fun is trying to bring this thing back from the dead and having it run as well as possible, hopefully for a long time. Going to order new piston and rings, no need to risk it.

I’ll post up some photos once the engine is back together, been scavenging odds and ends off eBay for the last 2 days.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:28 am

Projects are fun. Good luck.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD