2006 exhaust Issue
  • DougD56

2006 exhaust Issue

by DougD56 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:03 am

So I got a screaming deal on a 2006 250X for a backup bike, I normally ride a CR500 so I’m struggling with things a bit. Long story short, I purchased a FMF power core 4 “slip on” that was off a 2006 250R model. Well, I guess I misunderstood the Interchangeability of the two exhaust systems. The silencer fits perfect onto the factory head pipe, it’s just about 4” too long to bolt on 😂. It’s almost as if I need a shorted head pipe where the two would connect closer to the cylinder, rather than behind the subframe bolt...easy fix or abandon ship and leave it stock?
    JimDirt

Re: 2006 exhaust Issue

by JimDirt » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:35 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I guess it depends on your needs ..... The stock X muffler/exhaust is fine if you plan on using the bike for its intent purposes , which is trail riding ...... you can add a exhaust , but if it is not meant for the bike , it is going to cost you money for little gain and a bunch of noise ... noise is a dirt bikes enemy ... the louder the bike , the more complaints , especially if where you ride is near neighbors , or others who do not think dirt bikes are welcome or cool ....

So , to answer your question , I would personally keep it quiet and stock with the stock exhaust and trail ride the bike if that is what you got it for , the improvements you gain from the exchange will be minimal , if I was going to spend money making a bike better , I would spend my money on getting the suspension set up for me .... much more gains with that , than a muffler and rejetting , for a 1-3 HP gain at best , if your intentions are to race the bike , then I would keep the exhaust and get the bike to match the muffler , as opposed to trying to make a trail bike a race bike .... Again , I have no idea what your intended purpose is for the bike , just guessing .......... What I would suggest doing is going to the FMF website , and looking up part numbers (if you have them ) or just looking up the 06 250X and see what the interchange is or fitment is listed for those parts , it could be that it is just the header that needs to be swapped/replaced and your good to go ... or you will find the muffler you have will not bolt up (I am guessing the subframe mount is in the wrong location as well) even with the correct header ...... on some of the bikes only a certain year will fit , for example , on a 06 450X , only a 05 450R muffler will directly bolt up , but a 06 will not , so that could be the issue you are having if they followed suit with the 250X as they did with the 450X ..... Hope that helped ..... :-k 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • DougD56

by DougD56 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:58 pm

I figured it out, the stock X header is longer than the R header, that explains why the silencer is pushed back. If I hold it up it all lines up but was too long for the factory header. I ordered a used 06 R header which is shorter and Should gain me the room needed. I’m only changing the exhaust because I got it all for $150, and the factory silencer is ridiculously heavy. I’m going to lighten the bike up where I can so the GF can ride it also.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:11 pm

Good to hear .... at least you got it figured out , and this will help someone else if they have the same issue ;)

BUT , if the muffler is Stainless , then I am not sure it will weigh less (it might) but generally a Stainless muffler or header is heavy especially compared to Titanium ... , I know when I tried a stock R muffler on my X it weighed the same as the stock X muffler , so nothing was saved as far as weight goes , I did not try a FMF , but unless it is Titanium it will weigh a lot comparatively .... , a Stainless header compared to a Titanium is dramatically different , I bought one for my R and sent it back and went with a stock Titanium . it was much lighter ...
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • DougD56

by DougD56 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 pm

Well the 06 factory R header came, got it installed and went to out the slip on FMF in place and it’s too short. Went from too long, now too short.... I’m wondering if this is the silencer for a full system. Does anyone know if the Offered FMF headers are longer than the factory R header?
  • DougD56

by DougD56 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:25 am

R header is too short...idk what else to do unless the fmf header is between the stock R and X header in length
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:00 am

As far as I know , FMF has "Slip on" mufflers and "Systems" , so I am guessing this muffler is for a "System" , so it is meant to be used with a header made for it , as in Complete System ...
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho