What mods for more power on 06 250x
  • Porter76

What mods for more power on 06 250x

by Porter76 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:37 am

I bought this bike from a guy who has a few upgrades into the bike. As far as what would give me more power it has a pro circuit exhaust and a boyesen fuel pump. What could I do to the bike to really see some more power without putting myself at high risk of over heating on really tight technical trails? Where I ride there is some really open straight aways on the power lines where I’d like to feel that thing really pull just a little more especially in 3rd and above.
  • Leardriver

Re: What mods for more power on 06 250x

by Leardriver » Mon May 18, 2020 11:07 am

The real answer is an R cam. More power everywhere, and 50-60 bux used.

An exhaust may give you 1 more hp at redline, where you never ride. A big bore kit is crazy expensive for that old of a bike, but makes the bike just fantastic. Changing sprockets is cheap and effective.

Lots of people will say sell it and get a 450. They are close to the same money, and those people would be right.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon May 18, 2020 1:29 pm

I agree with Leardriver , a cam is going to be your best bang for the buck .... more so than the exhaust , and a exhaust is going to be louder if it is not OEM , so you have to worry about noise bothering others , quiet and fast , is much better than loud and loosing a riding area because of noise issues

Gearing will help depending on the situation , gearing for bottom torque will lose some top speed , gearing for speed will lose bottom grunt , good jetting and a cam will make you the most happy for the least cost .....Big bores help , but the cost factor goes way up ..

My 450X , I rarely need speeds above 50 mph , and spend the majority of riding single track in the 5 to 30 mph range in 2nd to 3rd gear I have to be doing walking speed or slower to need 1st gear , I run a HotCams Stage 1 , it gives tons of bottom end grunt , all the way thru mid , but falls off on top dramatically , a Stage 2 would give more mid to top , I am geared 13/52 , stock is 13/51 , with that gearing and the cam , I rarely stall it if at all , I can lug up anything , and if I want to go fast , I get on my 450R on the track

So you have several options for cam selection , and as Leardriver said , places like EBay have plenty of cheap OEM R cams for the taking at real good prices , its a simple swap , at the most will be a valve adjustment with it , because of wear or cam profile ...

Also with the X , you can add a Cooling Fan kit , and no more worrying about going slower and boiling over... , add Engine Ice and a 1.6 or 1.8 bar radiator cap , and you are good to go (with Engine Ice you have to completely flush your cooling system with Distilled Water before using)

https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/5402
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    bosshaug1

by bosshaug1 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:40 pm

+1 on R cam, this helped the most, along with the pink wire mod. Didn't see a higher compression piston mentioned, but that will help and is not that expensive.

Also, make sure the bike is opened up at the airbox, as some will add a free-flowing exhaust (easy to do) without opening the inlet (less easy to do) :shock:
    2006 CRF250X -JD kit, R can/PMB endcap, CCC mods, 05Rcam, flatland rad guards/skidplate, street legal
    2005 CRF50F -stock