2006 crf250x hitting 250 degrees F
  • Porter76

2006 crf250x hitting 250 degrees F

by Porter76 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:09 pm

I’ve just picked up a 2006 crf250x and am looking forward to some trail riding this weekend. I’ve only been able to rip around my yard in first gear in about 65 degree weather. After about 10 minutes of ripping some small pulls in my yard I immediately notice the temp going up to 250. Coolant was good level, no leaks and again I never left first. Now this has me VERY nervous for this weekend if my bike can’t go 10 min without over heating. I’ve only just got back into riding after about 9 years so my knowledge is small. Is it normal for the bike to hit that temp?
    JimDirt

Re: 2006 crf250x hitting 250 degrees F

by JimDirt » Thu May 14, 2020 7:33 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I am guessing you are using a Trail Tech dash monitor or something ...... I am also guessing the bike does not have a Electric Fan ........ The issue is , you mentioned running around in 1st gear .... The problem with that is , these bikes are cooled by AIR flowing thru the radiators , so if you are going extremely slow , there is little if any air "flowing" thru the radiators , so yes it will run hot .... you can do some things to alter the actual temp , by adding a different coolant like Engine Ice (this requires a complete flush of all other liquids in the cooling system) , or Evans Waterless Coolant , Engine Ice claims to lower operating temps by 50 degrees (it is what I use) , if the bike is not puking coolant , then you are fine at the moment , if you are still concerned you can purchase a Trail Tech Fan system , it is all set up , and includes a Temp Gauge , and is easy to install

If you are going to ride mostly in 1st gear , or just do casual slow trail rides , I would highly recommend the fan kit , I installed a fan on my 450X and could not be happier , it literally will not overheat now , no matter how much I sit or go slow ... I built my kit from scratch and it is also thermostatically controlled , like the Trail Tech kit , so it will shut off when the temps are normal and turn on when you are going too slow for proper airflow across the radiators (it only mounts to the right radiator)

I would also replace the Radiator Cap with a 1.6 or 1.8 bar cap , the stock 1.1 will allow the engine to boil over easily , the higher pressure caps allow the engine temp to be higher without it spewing coolant , it will not allow it to get so hot things blow , just give you more working room , the engine will not be harmed by the higher temps of the higher bar caps ...

Fan Kit:
    https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/5402
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Porter76

by Porter76 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:46 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I am guessing you are using a Trail Tech dash monitor or something ...... I am also guessing the bike does not have a Electric Fan ........ The issue is , you mentioned running around in 1st gear .... The problem with that is , these bikes are cooled by AIR flowing thru the radiators , so if you are going extremely slow , there is little if any air "flowing" thru the radiators , so yes it will run hot .... you can do some things to alter the actual temp , by adding a different coolant like Engine Ice (this requires a complete flush of all other liquids in the cooling system) , or Evans Waterless Coolant , Engine Ice claims to lower operating temps by 50 degrees (it is what I use) , if the bike is not puking coolant , then you are fine at the moment , if you are still concerned you can purchase a Trail Tech Fan system , it is all set up , and includes a Temp Gauge , and is easy to install

If you are going to ride mostly in 1st gear , or just do casual slow trail rides , I would highly recommend the fan kit , I installed a fan on my 450X and could not be happier , it literally will not overheat now , no matter how much I sit or go slow ... I built my kit from scratch and it is also thermostatically controlled , like the Trail Tech kit , so it will shut off when the temps are normal and turn on when you are going too slow for proper airflow across the radiators (it only mounts to the right radiator)

I would also replace the Radiator Cap with a 1.6 or 1.8 bar cap , the stock 1.1 will allow the engine to boil over easily , the higher pressure caps allow the engine temp to be higher without it spewing coolant , it will not allow it to get so hot things blow , just give you more working room , the engine will not be harmed by the higher temps of the higher bar caps ...

Fan Kit:
    https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/5402
    I’m not sure what cap it is but it isn’t the stock one it’s a temp gauge cap, I think the fans sound like a great idea as I may be in the top of 2nd and 3rd on these trails for the most part. The guy I bought it from had water in it but I’m going to switch over to engine ice. It has an upgraded pump as well (boyesen quick shot water pump) so hopefully with a little more speed and some engine ice I won’t be over heating on the trails. Thanks a lot for your reply
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Fri May 15, 2020 5:55 am

If you do a little searching on the site maybe you can find Jim's post on the fan he installed. He did a really nice job of documenting his system install.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    bosshaug1

by bosshaug1 » Fri May 15, 2020 12:05 pm

I ride mostly rocky Arizona trails in 2nd or 3rd gear, with summer temps >100F. I run Engine Ice with stock water pump and have never (knock on wood) had a boil over/over heating issue. My son rides it on the street as well, not stopping at lights much (I assume) and has not had any issues with over heating as well.
    2006 CRF250X -JD kit, R can/PMB endcap, CCC mods, 05Rcam, flatland rad guards/skidplate, street legal
    2005 CRF50F -stock