fuel injection filter on a carbureted one
    luisonair

fuel injection filter on a carbureted one

by luisonair » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi, I have a CRF250X 2004 and I would like to know if an inline fuel filter for fuel injection system can be used for my carbureted bike or it will restrict fuel? Thanks in advance
    2004 CRF250X
    2007 CRF230F
    JimDirt

Re: fuel injection filter on a carbureted one

by JimDirt » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:28 pm

What specific "filter" are you referring to ?? , as the OEM filters are attached to the fuel pump inside the tank on the EFI bikes , so need some more specifics as to what filter (a link to the filter you are referring to would be helpful) and its application .... :-k 8-[

Are you getting dirt in the fuel bowl ?? , or what is the reason you are wanting a EFI filter as opposed to a regular inline one , as far as I know KTM has inline filters , but not 09-11 Honda 450's or 12 250's ... so more specifics are needed ... :-k
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    luisonair

by luisonair » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks Jim,
    is because I just cleaned the carb and since is a pain to disassemble half of the bike to get to it and I had a new Fram fuel filter in my toolbox http://www.fram.com/parts-search/G3842/?, I decided to install it to prevent dirt and gunk in the carb soon, but unless I think I got the pilot screw in the correct position and throttle responding nice and idling correctly, after a few minutes riding the bike starts to bog/hesitate and sometimes engine stops. I´m guessing that the fuel filter is restricting fuel. What do you think?
    2004 CRF250X
    2007 CRF230F
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:12 pm

The system is totally gravity feed , so if you have too much line to where the filter is lower than the bowl , that might cause some restrictions , also that particular filter I would guess would be for a system with a fuel pump , so it would have pressure pushing the fuel thru (not sure how free flowing that filter is) , I personally would just get (if you are insistent on using a inline) one of the clear inline ones at the bike shop as they are not restrictive and are meant for gravity feed systems like on these bikes ..... I am guessing you took the carb off and apart to clean it , did you happen to spray carb cleaner in/around the slide ?? , if you did , there is a good chance you ruined the Floating Valve Seal , located on the slide https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/3687

Carb cleaner usually damages any rubber parts it hits , especially if they get drowned in it , they swell and get mushy and then just deteriorate really fast

Fuel Screw should be around 2-1/4 turns out from lightly seated (counterclockwise out) , have you (shut off the fuel first) taken off the drain plug on the bottom of the carb to see if dirt is actually getting in the bowl still or was ?? , usually dirt enters (more than likely) from getting thru the Air Filter , and ends up clogging jets or settling in the bottom of the drain nut , as the screen type tube in the tank where the fuel line goes , is usually sufficient to trap all but the finest of dirt (I found my dirt was getting thru the air filter , not from the tank , as I flushed and filtered the gas going into the tank using a Coffee filter and that will trap the finest dirt you can get , after the initial cleaning of the tank and gas cans (which did have sand in them both from filling at the track on windy days) , I have not had that issue of dirt in the tank , and still was getting a ton of dirt in the carb ...... The issue with that is , if it gets in your carb , then it can get thru to your Intake Valves , and then you have a whole new issue .....

So to answer your question , since that filter is not specifically designed for use in a dirt bike , I personally would not chance it and suspect it could be contributing to your issue , as mentioned , if you feel the need for a inline filter , then use one for a bike like this
    https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/tracksi ... UoEALw_wcB

or this https://www.chapmoto.com/visu-filter-1- ... bREALw_wcB
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:02 pm

You should be hesitant to treat a condition that doesn't usually exist.
    I take my tank off once a year and swish it around and dump it, and clean the screen around the petcock inlet. It is clean enough to make me happy before I even start.