250x cold-start issues
  • HeWhoAteTheCaviar

Re: 250x cold-start issues

by HeWhoAteTheCaviar » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:42 pm

I think you are actually under oiling the filter by the sounds of it .... as mentioned , submerging the entire filter is the key to making sure the filter is adequately oiled , I completely submerge mine and have to squeeze it out (not wring it out , but squeeze from top to bottom , kind of like how you would milk a cow) till the excess oil is removed but the filter is still saturated , then as mentioned , let it set for at least 1 hour or even overnight before installing , letting it air dry will help with the dripping . but still allow the oil to be abundant in the filter , when I use the No-Toil Red oil , I let it set overnight , when I use the Green oil I let it set for at least 1 hour (the green does not have Alcohol to dissipate)

Try as I mentioned above , along with the PC racing seal (which I just picked up one for my R today , even though so far I have not had dirt since switching to a 03 airbox) , and see what it does , you can saturate the filter completely , just start squeezing from the top where the rubber ring is , and work your way to the seal , then find a nice clean spot and put a paper or shop towel down , and let it sit in the sun (away from any wind that might blow it into the dirt , like sitting on your workbench) , then after you notice it is tacky (should be minimum 1 hour) then install it , and see if you notice any difference in dirt getting THRU the filter.........Report back with findings ... 8-[
    The PC Racing gasket helped quite a bit! went for a dusty ride after install and it kept almost all of the dirt out of the boot. Funny enough, shortly after my ride I ended up selling my 250x to a good friend of mine! I wanted to make sure the bike was in good condition for him. Ended up picking up a new 17' 450rx as a new bike! I guess ill be asking questions on the 450r sections from now on! :D
    20. Pocatello Idaho. 17' CRF450RX
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:40 pm

I like the no toil system too.
    I put the oil and filter in a double ziplock bag and work it through.
    Save the mess and the oil.

You should always let them dry/ tack off after a good squeeze so the oil goes back into plastic bag for next time. I generally let them dry in the sun and reinstall the next day. Either run a good seal at the base or use the no toil grease to seal it. The will still drool after that even. Never had dust through a filter and it gets dusty in Oz especially in summer.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:41 am

I think you are actually under oiling the filter by the sounds of it .... as mentioned , submerging the entire filter is the key to making sure the filter is adequately oiled , I completely submerge mine and have to squeeze it out (not wring it out , but squeeze from top to bottom , kind of like how you would milk a cow) till the excess oil is removed but the filter is still saturated , then as mentioned , let it set for at least 1 hour or even overnight before installing , letting it air dry will help with the dripping . but still allow the oil to be abundant in the filter , when I use the No-Toil Red oil , I let it set overnight , when I use the Green oil I let it set for at least 1 hour (the green does not have Alcohol to dissipate)

Try as I mentioned above , along with the PC racing seal (which I just picked up one for my R today , even though so far I have not had dirt since switching to a 03 airbox) , and see what it does , you can saturate the filter completely , just start squeezing from the top where the rubber ring is , and work your way to the seal , then find a nice clean spot and put a paper or shop towel down , and let it sit in the sun (away from any wind that might blow it into the dirt , like sitting on your workbench) , then after you notice it is tacky (should be minimum 1 hour) then install it , and see if you notice any difference in dirt getting THRU the filter.........Report back with findings ... 8-[
    The PC Racing gasket helped quite a bit! went for a dusty ride after install and it kept almost all of the dirt out of the boot. Funny enough, shortly after my ride I ended up selling my 250x to a good friend of mine! I wanted to make sure the bike was in good condition for him. Ended up picking up a new 17' 450rx as a new bike! I guess ill be asking questions on the 450r sections from now on! :D
    Glad the PC ring helped .......
    Definitely keep us in the loop and give a ride report on the R/X , as soon as I can get my truck paid off , I am either getting a R/X or a R (hopefully a 18 or preferably a 19) , and I agree with Ray , oiling the filter (especially No-Toil) and letting it air dry is the best bet , oiling it and just installing , and its going to drip as well as suck the excess oil into the snorkel/boot area , as I have noted the difference between just oiling and installing versus oiling and letting it sit even just a hour or better yet overnight , then installing ..... huge difference in how it performs and this is the cleanest my snorkel/air boot has been since I have owned my R

But we seriously want a good detailed ride report ....or several of them as you get more acquainted with it and learn its quirks and positives ..... Ride Video's a plus , to see the terrain and hear about the plus and minus traits of the bike on the given terrain ................. 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • HeWhoAteTheCaviar

by HeWhoAteTheCaviar » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:53 am

Glad the PC ring helped .......
    Definitely keep us in the loop and give a ride report on the R/X , as soon as I can get my truck paid off , I am either getting a R/X or a R (hopefully a 18 or preferably a 19) , and I agree with Ray , oiling the filter (especially No-Toil) and letting it air dry is the best bet , oiling it and just installing , and its going to drip as well as suck the excess oil into the snorkel/boot area , as I have noted the difference between just oiling and installing versus oiling and letting it sit even just a hour or better yet overnight , then installing ..... huge difference in how it performs and this is the cleanest my snorkel/air boot has been since I have owned my R

But we seriously want a good detailed ride report ....or several of them as you get more acquainted with it and learn its quirks and positives ..... Ride Video's a plus , to see the terrain and hear about the plus and minus traits of the bike on the given terrain ................. 8-[
    Certainly! When i got the RX the filter had little to no oil on it so i re-applied more oil and let it sit for a good 5-6 hours. I noticed an immediate increase in the "stickiness" of the filter. The 17' model year was the least expensive and was the only model year that came with both electric and kick start (Not that ill ever be able to kickstart a 450). I've been out for the count after having my tonsils removed, but as soon as i get feeling better i'll slap my gopro on my helmet and go for a rip!
    20. Pocatello Idaho. 17' CRF450RX
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:29 pm

Yea , its common to find a lightly if at all oiled filter , check ALL the bearings as well , Honda (well every manufacturer , really) has a notorious habit of putting just enough grease on all the joints so they aren't metal to metal and don't squeak , so first chance after the "break-in" ride , then tear that puppy down and regrease anything that moves , including the swingarm pivot , head bearings , and linkage , wheel bearings , etc. , , as that is a major issue when getting a new bike , everyone "assumes" because its new that everything is ready to go , when in fact 99% of the time , its just enough to allow the bike to be assembled and pushed down the line .... :?

Also if you are a clutch abuser or frequent user , then do the Judder Spring mod , it will make the clutch last much longer , as that (aside from the snappy power delivery) is the only real complaint I have heard about the new gen Honda's , clutch does not last long if used a lot or abused (Suzuki, Kawi as well)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho