Clunking with E- Start
  • thetinman

Clunking with E- Start

by thetinman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:41 pm

When using the E start the starter spins but does not continue to spin the motor. It's like a tooth is missing from the gear. I pulled the starter and turn the motor over by hand and didn't see and gear missing. I can kick start it and it never feels like it misses. Maybe I missed something when looking into the starter hole. the starter has all its teeth and they look good. But its such a small gear if only one tooth was missing the other gear it may be caught in that slot where the starter will spin but not catch a tooth.
    JimDirt

Re: Clunking with E- Start

by JimDirt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It could be the one way bearing for the starter is not engaging http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/yel ... G%20CLUTCH , if its not engaging , the starter will turn but not turn the engine over
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • thetinman

by thetinman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:20 am

ya its weird. If I hold the button down it will grab and spin the motor but after a second or two will only spin the starter. It like the gear inside is missing teeth or has a flat spot on it. but then I can bump it again and it will catch and spin the motor. only when I hold the button down will it eventually slip and not spin the motor. Makes some loud clunking just before it stops spinning the motor. I replace the starter but that had no effect. Sounds to be internal so I guess I gotta pull the side case open and see what I see.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:49 pm

Yes that will be your best bet is to look at the gears and see what is up , when the starter clutch goes bad , it can either not allow the starter to disengage , or not allow the starter to engage , or work intermittently as yours seems to be doing , but that would be my first guess would be the one way bearing in the gear is bad or going bad
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • richo67

by richo67 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:52 am

I have exactly the same problem as this on my ‘05, did you ever get to the bottom and fix ?