250x electric issue
  • Markf

250x electric issue

by Markf » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Evening, new member here.

So I have a 250x, 2004 model, and fitted a polisport rear brake lamp tonight. 3 wires, same as the one I removed, hooked it up and it’s gone tits up. Hence, looking for advice.

With the lights off, the fender LED is dim and the rear lamp is dim. Touch the brake and the lamp goes off, the LED gets a bit brighter.

Lights on, the rear lamp goes bright, LED off, touch the brake and the lamp goes dim, the LED goes bright.

I’m stumped by it as the LED loom is separate and isn’t linked in to any of the 3 wires in this particular loom.

Any advice welcomed
    JimDirt

Re: 250x electric issue

by JimDirt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:35 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It sounds like it's back feeding thru the headlight switch somehow , is it possible you have the one of the tail light wires connected to ground ?? , what happens when you unplug the tail light setup completely and run the headlight , does it work correctly ??

Try hooking up 1 wire to each of the known light wires and test independently (connect to Brake light ,test , then Tail light , test using 1 wire at a time) by switching the headlight on/off Hi/Lo as before , you should notice if it works abnormally , if each wire works "normally" when run separate then trace each wire back to the switch using a Ohm meter , somewhere you have a wire crossed , you just need to trace it to the switch to make sure the correct wire goes to the correct function on the switch....

Basically , a wire is not where it's supposed to be and most likely giving power where it's not needed or giving power to a incoming and outgoing wire at the same time , within the switch , this would make the headlight act weird because it is controlled thru the switch , so if you turn on the tail light , it will backfeed thru the headlight causing a power draw or a ground interrupt
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Markf

by Markf » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 am

Cheers Jim!

It may be that I didn’t describe it well.

The headlamp works as it should, with or with both sets of rear lights, but the rear lamp only has 3 wires from the main loom, as does the new lamp, and the original lamp.

I’ll try and get a video of it and upload it, along with the pics of the wires.
    I’ll sort it in the next day or so.

Really appreciate the help Jim
  • Markf

by Markf » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:35 pm

Sorted it! The front banjo wasn’t completing the circuit - changed it and now it is sorted