2015 CRF250x Keihin FCR fuel screw hole side plug?
  • getrink

2015 CRF250x Keihin FCR fuel screw hole side plug?

by getrink » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:04 pm

I have read a bunch of posts about adjusting or replacing the CRF250x fuel screw. I have a 2015 CRF250x with the stock Keihin FCR carb. No mods have been done to the bike.

After turning the carb out (not as easy as it should have been) I use a mirror to look in the screw hole. There appears to be a black plug(?) or something coming in from the side obstructing at least half of the view of the brass screw.

It isn't the plug I have seen in some pics/posts at the mount of the hole it actually comes in from the side.

Any ideas what this is? If it is to keep the screw from coming out how do I get it out of the way (without taking the carb out) so I can put on an aftermarket external turn screw?

Thanks in advance.

getrink
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:32 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Can you post a picture of what "plug" your talking about ??

To post a image you need a hosting site like Photobucket , you upload your pic to it , then go to the picture and get the link on the right side (if your using Photobucket) , usually the "IMG" link will work , it will look like this when you "Paste" it into your post

[img]http:%20//i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz174/JimDirts/450X%20Bar%20Offset.jpg[/img]

But when done right and you submit the post it will show up like the image below

2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • getrink

Had to take to dealer and they were even shocked

by getrink » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:40 pm

I had to take my bike to the dealer to make a weekend ride. $200 later, they were even shocked what they found on the 2015 250x carb (and the carb co didn't even know what was up).

Essentially, Honda had change the way they they try to block adjustments of the screw. There used to be a plug you could pull out with a screw. Then you could adjust as normal.

Now, the 2015 manual says you have to take to the dealer, here is what Honda has done.

1) Provides no adjustment instructions or setting recommendations
    2) Stock fuel screw is now a "D" shaped head that they only dealers have
    3) They now have a "pin" that blocks the hole from the side
    4) And another plug (between the pin & screw)

The dealer had to remove the whole carb (had to move the subframe), then get the "side pin" out (I have it), and then drill out the aluminum "plug", to get to the screw, then use their "D" tip ratchet to get the screw out. I had them put in an aftermarket external adjustable screw.

I called Honda an threw a fit. Told them every other bike is going fuel injected and if they are going to leave a carb in it...it has to be adjustable for elevation, etc. All they said was "its because of California" and I am in Missouri.

I am trying to get them to pay the dealer for the work since I have owned 7 New Honda cars in my life and this was my first (maybe last) bike.

Next I am going to have to replace the pipe to un-cork it further. Any recommendations on what pipe is best would be appreciated.

JIM
  • taylorcraft

by taylorcraft » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:29 pm

Wow so now the other 49 have to put up with the ridiculous CARB mods, which accomplish nothing?
    I have used both Yoshumira and FMF similar performance, the fit and finish on the FMF is outstanding and they have several SA insets. My quiet insert blew a 92db at the last sound check.
  • Leardriver

by Leardriver » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:06 pm

That is super irritating to have that kind of big government nannyism.

Here's a helpful tip for adjusting fuel screws or installing a pilot jet.....

Lay to bike down on its right side, then rotate the carb bottom outward towards the left.

You can see everything so much better, and gravity won't frustrate you by dropping the pilot out while you are trying to get a screwdriver on it.
    Harkon

by Harkon » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:42 pm

I had the same issue with my '13 450X, except it was just a side plug. Many here had not ever seen that at that point. Managed it all myself though (with help from the guys here). I as well went back to the dealer as the bike would barely idle and ran like a total POS before I opened it up.

JD Jetting kit and R&D fuel screw are the best solution to this predicament. Unfortunately you have to go through the pain of actually 'fixing' the carb first. Just bought a used '06 250X for my son and the R&D fuel screw and JD Jetting kit went in without removing the carb. I still have the accel pump fix to do but that's for the spring.
  • kingsranch05

Re: 2015 CRF250x Keihin FCR fuel screw hole side plug?

by kingsranch05 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:18 pm

Reply for helpful SEO:

Had the same thing in my '17. Just the side plug thing. Drilled it out and ordered a cheapo single-D tool to get it so I could install the external adjustable screw. Took the whole carb off because I could not seem to get a clear view of what I was up against.

Guess I'm gonna install that JD jet kit while it's on the workbench!