Transmission Oil Change
    Codeman00

Transmission Oil Change

by Codeman00 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:20 pm

When I changed my transmission oil for the first time, I did it by the directions listed in my owners manual. However, after adding the required amount according to the manual, nothing came out of the level check hole. So I kept adding and adding....I swear that I almost added a .9 qts to it although it was over many different fills. I never did keep track after the required amount. Still though, nothing came out of the level check hole. I then tipped the bike toward me just to see if the hole worked and out came some oil but after a decent tip. So then I gave up on filling it anymore and ran the bike for a few minutes. I then opened up the overflow hole again while the bike was on flat ground and out came the oil without tipping it. Maybe it was because the fluid was hot and less viscous? I don't know.

So what do I do now? Should I just heat up the bike, put it on a level surface and let the oil drip out of the overflow hole until it stops? How can I make this quicker in the future? And is the fill amount in the manual correct?
  • redrooster65

by redrooster65 » Wed May 07, 2008 6:06 am

Just put @ 820 in there and forget about that hole.
    Codeman00

by Codeman00 » Sat May 10, 2008 4:53 pm

I just wanted to close this thread out by saying apparently I didn't allow enough time for the new transmission oil to get down to the bottom of the case and that's why it didn't flow out the level check hole. (I should have known this but the manual could have said something too).After a couple of days of letting it sit, I opened the level check hole and out came a ton of oil. Now I have the right level....I'll use the 820 measurement technique next time.
  • pedro

by pedro » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:01 pm

CRF250X 2008-The transmission oil drain bolt is on the left hand side about50mm in front of the shifter shaft at about the same level. It takes a 12mm socket and the bolt is about 60mm long. It comes standard with an aluminium squash washer. I will try a copper washer and hope it doesn't leak. See photo for location of bolt:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/ ... 2_2435.jpg
    bosshaug1

by bosshaug1 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:02 pm

pedro, the bolt Codeman00 was talking about was the transmission oil check level on the right side of the bike. Also, this thread is over 2 years old and I'm pretty sure he has it figured out by now :lol:
    2006 CRF250X -JD kit, R can/PMB endcap, CCC mods, 05Rcam, flatland rad guards/skidplate, street legal
    2005 CRF50F -stock
  • pedro

by pedro » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:31 am

Thanks. I only put in the above message in case anyone else has trouble locating the transmission drain bolt.
  • pedro

by pedro » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:55 pm

When doing a transmission oil change dont get frustrated by trying to put the transmission oil in the filler cap. Easiest way is to remove the RHS inspection hole with the 10mm allen key and put the oil in there.
  • TwinLewi

Re: Transmission Oil Change

by TwinLewi » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:38 pm

Hey there,
    New to the forum and hello to all.
    This had good info here and ya even if some questions are answered at a later time it makes it good for the next fella to have a good read. In that case I wanted to ask a question on my 08 CRF250X! Just got it and drained the oil to check filter and condition for any metal shrapnel. Also to check valve clearances. So far everything is clean and up to spec. Learning that the bike has a separate transmission oil but didn't plan on draining that at the same time as the oil. I want to do so now and don't have any motor oil in the bike to warm it up. If I fill up the oil again and the heat it up to drain tranny fluid will I have any issues with loss of motor oil. Silly question now that I type it out but better safe then sorry I guess. From Australia and have different products here.
    I purchased Penrite MC 4ST 10W-40 (JASO MA2) Full synthetic motor oil Specs are(JASO MA2) API sn/cf
    BelRay Thumper Gear saver 80w API GL-4 , GL-5 spec

Making sure I am on the right track here. First dirt bike since 2004. grew up racing and have been out of the game for sometime now. Been on the road bikes for the last year! love working on my own bikes! Thanks for the time and help,
    twinlewi
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:38 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

To answer your question , there is no issue once you fill the engine side with oil and running the bike to warm up the oil .... yes the tranny oil is completely separate , so no worries of losing the engine side oil ..... , the tranny drain is located just behind the engine oil drain bolt , and the fill is on the clutch side .... usually everyone just uses a full quart in the tranny side , use the recommended amount in the engine side ..... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • TwinLewi

by TwinLewi » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:33 pm

Thanks Jim Dirt,
    Love the name! Just like the old Joe dirt! haha =DD
    I appreciate the quick response! Good to know! I should have thought about it doing this at the same time but oh well what can ya do right? Not a big deal then at all. I have the correct amounts for filling but not sure on tranny fluid I selected and was helped out to by from the shop. Any thoughts ? Thnaks mate again
    lewi :mrgreen:
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:13 am

No problem .... and yea , that is where my name came from , was from the movie Joe Dirt ..... I used to look sort of like him , till my hair wouldn't grow anymore , due to some heart meds I was on , it still has not grown since 2014 , but the name stuck ... and I use it for my names on all forums I log in to ... :-~ 8-[

The oil should be the same as what you put in the engine , it has to be for wet clutches ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho