09 CRF230M Troubleshooting
  • hondooey

09 CRF230M Troubleshooting

by hondooey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:28 am

Ladies and Gentlemen,

So begins another repair post. I always think I will be able to fix these things and end up on the forums. So here we are. I will put up some pretty pics and vidya tonight.

Took an 09 CRF230M on a trade. Want it to be a city bike and maybe take it to some kart tracks for fun. It was a NY state bike and by the time I got it it in Denver, CO had 6000mi and was running poorly.

Mods: spark arrestor removal, backfire screen removed, smog removal kit installed.

Issue: immediate cutting off of power past 1/3 throttle. I'm talking instant burbling and loss of power. Will recover and idle fine afterwards. I was having issues with motor heating up and spitting oil out of the case in to the airbox (seems like lean condition).

Diagnostics and changes so far:
    New plugs are slightly black, not oiley
    150psi compression
    Valves adjusted to spec (exhaust was slightly off)
    Strong battery
    Needle 1x .5mm washer up, 38 idle jet, 2.25 mix screw out, 100 thru 130 main swapped to no avail

I did the smog removal myself with the kit and the vacuum lines are my primary suspicion. All of the pictures from years ago are no longer hosted so I can't compare.

Second suspicion I have is the ignition coil but I can't find any resistance specs for it.

I may to restockify the smog stuff and start from there but it was having issues prior.

Sorry if this is a ton of info, I try to be relatively thorough with the initial post... Thanks for any help!
  • hondooey

Re: 09 CRF230M Troubleshooting

by hondooey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Small update...

Removed air filter and set main to 125 and she's running like a champ. I believe the overheat got oil into the filter and it can no longer pass enough air for high rpm running.

New filter on order.
  • hondooey

by hondooey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:12 am

I'll go ahead and keep posting in case anyone runs across this in the future... doesn't seem to be getting any attention anyways.

Replaced air filter with new OEM fabric filter with spark screen removed.

Bike is running 85% of what it was before. Flat spot at high rpms to slight bogging near redline(?). No tach cant tell for sure.

Spark plug looks great after a 10 minute ride and shut down at WOT. Tan / grey with no black. May adjust jetting and dial in mixture for idle.
    Zachc12385

by Zachc12385 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:45 am

Great job on figuring it out! If i ever run into something like this now ill know what to do. Now what do you mean when you say it has a "flat spot" in the high rpms? On my 250l when im between 5000-8000 rpm its really powerful and torquey but in my high range from 9000-11000rpm it starts losing all that torque and seems to lose that "punch" and it feels alot less powerful.
    Zach
    2017 Crf250l
    Stock

"Just send it!"
  • hondooey

by hondooey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:50 am

You won't be able to replicate this process as 250Ls are fuel injected not carbed. My '14 acts the same way though.

However it is a lot less pronounced on the 250 than the 230. It just falls on its face at some point. 230's don't have a tach so I can't really tell when its happening. It may just be running out to redline but I think there's something else at work.