08' CRF230L Engine Noise & Possibly Low Compression
  • Dstridium

08' CRF230L Engine Noise & Possibly Low Compression

by Dstridium » Thu May 12, 2016 11:00 am

I recently bought a 2008 CRF230L with 9,000 miles from the original owner for $1700. It runs really well and fires right up. I've driven it over 300 miles in the week I've had it. The only issue is the engine noise at idle which leads me to believe valves are out of spec or the exhaust is leaking at the head creating the noise. The exhaust header, flange and bolts are rusty and crusty. Also I get an odd engine noise at low RPMs in gear that sounds like metal on metal, once RPMs raise the noise goes away. All these noises led me to buy a compression tester and see if the top end is due for a rebuild. The tester I bought reads 110PSI consistently. From my understanding the compression for a CRF230F should be around 180. I figured it should be about the same for L/M models. I'm not sure if I actually have low compression or not being the tester I have has like 3' of hose before the valve and gauge that reads pressure. I have included pictures and video of the gauge and bike noise at idle. Any help you all can lend is appreciated.

Video idling
    https://youtu.be/EKO_dXSvgtg

Video revving
    https://youtu.be/UT-kfnQPGAI

• Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat May 14, 2016 10:33 pm

Does it have a metal sump guard or original plastic? The noise reflection of the metal one can make you think it is going to explode.

Fix the exhaust leak or you will be chasing your tail with noises as well as state of health of engine.

The hose may be causing an issue due to the volume it contains.
    If you wind the motor over does it get higher.

Are you doing it with throttle fully open.

If still low, put a spoonful of oil down the spark plug hole whirl it over for 10 seconds with no plug or tester in and take another compression reading. Post what you get.

Compression shouldn't be a problem unless the air cleaner is doing its job.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Dstridium

by Dstridium » Tue May 17, 2016 11:39 am

Aussiecrf230 wrote:Does it have a metal sump guard or original plastic? The noise reflection of the metal one can make you think it is going to explode.

Fix the exhaust leak or you will be chasing your tail with noises as well as state of health of engine.

The hose may be causing an issue due to the volume it contains.
    If you wind the motor over does it get higher.

Are you doing it with throttle fully open.

If still low, put a spoonful of oil down the spark plug hole whirl it over for 10 seconds with no plug or tester in and take another compression reading. Post what you get.

Compression shouldn't be a problem unless the air cleaner is doing its job.

Hello and thank you for the reply. My bike has neither plastic or metal skid plate on it. The noise I'm receiving while riding seems to be directly coming from the top end and only under load at low RPMs. My buddy and I will be tackling the exhaust leak ASAP. It's just going to be tough due to the state the header bolts and hardware are in. They are rusted together and the nuts are stripped. Will most likely have to cut, torch and replace the hardware. in regards to the compression test. I am performing the test at WOT and once the gauge reaches 110PSI it no longer goes any higher no matter how much I crank it over. I believe I am unable to do the compression test currently as I have removed the fuel tank and EVAP can in order to adjust my valves. I just haven't gotten around to actually adjusting them. Once I do I will run the test wet and post the results. In your last line did you mean to say "unless the air cleaner isn't doing its job? As a side note I really like the bike and have decided that since I have the extra money I went ahead and ordered a new piston, rings, pin, clips, gaskets to re do the top end. As well as the XRS only smog block off kit and a dyno jet kit. A few people I have talked to have mentioned adjusting the timing chain but could not find a lot of info on how to do so and was under the impression this bike has an auto tensioner. My uncle is fairly convinced my problem is valve related and finds it hard to believe I would be having cam chain issues with less than 10k miles on a Honda. Any thoughts? Thanks again for your reply.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:17 pm

Yes I did mean if aircleaner wasn't doing its job. Late nights.

Does seem strange - possible broken valve spring??
    The valves seem to stay put for ever so be surprised if the gaps are wide.

Check the timing chain before you pull it apart anyway as it sounds a bit like a loose chain (but recorded sounds are difficult to diagnose).
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Dstridium

by Dstridium » Thu May 19, 2016 9:21 am

Aussiecrf230 wrote:Yes I did mean if aircleaner wasn't doing its job. Late nights.

Does seem strange - possible broken valve spring??
    The valves seem to stay put for ever so be surprised if the gaps are wide.

Check the timing chain before you pull it apart anyway as it sounds a bit like a loose chain (but recorded sounds are difficult to diagnose).

I checked the air cleaner and have crossed that off the list of possibilities all looks well. I'm having trouble adjusting the valves. I Keep turning over the engine to both TDC but can't tell whether I'm in exhaust or compression stroke because my rocker arms have no free play either way. The service manual gives that as the only option to verify which TDC you're on. Also I'm not sure how to check the timing chain I have searched the service manual all over and it mentions nothing about maintence on the timing chain only engine assembly and disassembly. Thanks in advance for some speedy replies. Ready to get the issues fixed and back on the road again!
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat May 21, 2016 4:53 am

I would turn motor over by hand until both the inlet and exhaust rockers have clearance and see what timing marks do line up.

It is only 0.004 inch so easy to miss.

Try a bit either side of either TDC if the chain has slipped that could be the issue.

What manual do you have? It should show tensioner set up.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

• Dstridium

by Dstridium » Sat May 21, 2016 12:29 pm

Aussiecrf230 wrote:I would turn motor over by hand until both the inlet and exhaust rockers have clearance and see what timing marks do line up.

It is only 0.004 inch so easy to miss.

Try a bit either side of either TDC if the chain has slipped that could be the issue.

What manual do you have? It should show tensioner set up.

This bike doesn't have a kick start, so I'm turning it over with a wrench. Unless you mean to put it in gear and turn it over with the wheel? I think the issue may be that the valves are far too tight I don't seem to be getting any clearance at all. I haven't tried to see if the chain slipped timing yet but that is a good point. I have both the owners and the OEM Honda service manual.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat May 21, 2016 5:17 pm

Turning over with a wrench is ok, just always turn in direction of engine rotation as you may get the timing out slightly at the valve as chain slack can end up on other side.
    The TDC point should be about half way between the inlet valve closing and the exhaust valve opening.

It should be obvious if you are at the wrong TDC (about to start induction stroke) as further turning the engine will cause inlet valve to open further. Once you found that point then perhaps open valve clearances to say 0.010 inch to make it real obvious for checking purposes. Having the correct adjusting tool also makes it a lot easier to set clearances. It can be done without it it just takes more fiddling.

If you have little to no clearance that would account for the low compression and may even account for the noise as the valves slams back onto the valve seat. Actually has the noise been there some time or all of a sudden?

Persist with it, but if it is driving you crazy just walk away for a while. We all do silly things when frustrated. Fortunately you bike is actually pretty simple setup which is why they are so reliable.

The CRF230F does have a spring loaded chain tensioner. It should be mentioned in the Cylinder head/valves section of your manual.
    It may be gummed up or someone has turned it the wrong way to release it. It is under the cap and should be turned counter clockwise after it is installed. Pretty simple setup so can't see how that would be the trouble.

Hope this info helps.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

• BarryDycle

08 CRF230L Engine Noise Possibly Low Compression

by BarryDycle » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:17 pm

My son has an 04 crf80 that we bought new 3 years ago. It has the same problem of no power minus the ticking. I have adjusted the valves and we maintain it meticulously. Oli smokes a little when starting but other than that sounds good. Feels like it kicks through with no compression. Ideas?
  • MyPitBullOwnsMe230

Re: 08' CRF230L Engine Noise & Possibly Low Compression

by MyPitBullOwnsMe230 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:48 pm

Did you happem to resolve the issue you were having? I have the same exact noise and im trying to identify the problem without changing whole tip end out which im about to do