250x For a Supermoto
  • lafreeride

250x For a Supermoto

by lafreeride » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:06 pm

I got the Sumo bug and I was wondering if my 250x has enough juice to make it in the supermoto world. Focusing mainly on kart tracks. Besides the wheelset and front brakes, is there anything else needed to have fun on the track? Any info will be helpful.
    crfsonly
    Owner

Re: 250x For a Supermoto

by crfsonly » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:15 pm

lafreeride wrote:I got the Sumo bug and I was wondering if my 250x has enough juice to make it in the supermoto world. Focusing mainly on kart tracks. Besides the wheelset and front brakes, is there anything else needed to have fun on the track? Any info will be helpful.

absolutely it has enough to get out there and have fun. you can also significantly increase motor performance as well if you find it lacking. for fun on the track you will need wheels, front brake system, wrap-around hand guards, and sliders (you will lay it down if you are pushing it hard out there). if you are just interested in the sportsman class then you can run with the stock wheels with just replacing the tires. you won't be competitive with stock wheel sizes in any other class but the sportsman class. if you get into it and want to be as competitive/fast as possible you will need a slipper clutch.

the good thing is you can start small and upgrade as your interest and skill level demands.

we have everything you need for supermoto. if you don't see what you are looking for let me know.

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by sand.man » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:30 pm

I wouldn't say you need a slipper clutch to be competetive. It is nice to have and I do recommend it, but the fastest guy in our local racing club does not use one, and he is FAST.

Track lap record set by a budding world class superbike racer on a 2009 R6 is 58 seconds and change, the fastest motard guy on a CRF450R laps at about 1:02.

Before spending money on wheels and brakes etc. go ride a friends bike, or if you dont know anyone that has a motard just go down to the track and start talking to people. Somebody there will let you take their bike out for a rip, it's really difficult to damage a motard.

That way you know if it's right for you.

If you really like it, skip the sportsman class, buy a set of 17's and a nice front brake for the full supermoto experience.

If you can afford it, buy your wheelset with a RAD cush drive hub to spare your transmission/bottom end a lot of stress.

I don't know if I would push the 250 too hard on the pavement though, if you start to get fast and ride the bike hard you're going to want to beef up the bottom end.
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:07 pm

sand.man is correct there are very fast sm racers who run without a slipper clutch...however, running fast without one is an advanced skill not easily obtained. backing it into a turn at high speed becomes dangerous quick if the back wheel starts to hop.

you might also look for a good deal on used SM crf250/450 if you plan on riding both SM and off-road.

ken
    Last edited by crfsonly on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by sand.man » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:49 am

Very true Ken, I didn't go to a slipper clutch until last year, and before that my life was just one big collective highside.

The slipper is also another great savior to the bottom end of the motor, combined with a Cush drive rear hub your crank will thank you.
  • lafreeride

by lafreeride » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 am

Thanks for the info guys. I realize the need for a slipper clutch down the line. I ride sportbikes and although I don't "back it in" every turn on my sportbikes, it looks like it's more common place with supermotos.
  • Suputin

by Suputin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:19 pm

I wouldn't say you need a slipper clutch to be competetive. It is nice to have and I do recommend it, but the fastest guy in our local racing club does not use one, and he is FAST.

Agreed. You just need to learn to modulate the clutch to allow the rear wheel to slide without hopping. It is a skill and it isn't that hard to learn.

There is nothing wrong with a 250 as a motard. Our supermoto club has more WR250X's than any other model.

I realize the need for a slipper clutch down the line. I ride sportbikes and although I don't "back it in" every turn on my sportbikes, it looks like it's more common place with supermotos.

You will back the bike in once you start riding supermoto. I too came from roadracing and never once used the back brake. Then I got on a motard and now it is all backing in all the time. It is too much fun not to do. 8)