New to Supermoto
  • Tito

New to Supermoto

by Tito » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:15 am

Hey guys,

Just picked up a 07 CRF 450R to supermoto and do some casual trail riding.

For suspension: I've been searching forum high and low for baseline settings, but find so many different answers, if you anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

1. for stock suspension - sage levels, compression and rebound settings, geometry (I've heard some dropping the front 12mm)

Eventually, I'll upgrade but need something to start off with.

Thanks!
  • abmjl

by abmjl » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:16 pm

hi there i have a 04 450r setup as a motard, im always playing around with setup n changing things or trying new things to make it handle n go better. same times i get it right n other times its crap but it seems best with the triple clamps down about 12mm as you said, crank the rear spring up heaps so theres stuff all sag ,my spring is std 5.5kg, alittle bit light for me. move rear axle as far forward as you can to shorten the wheel base, you'll probibly have to shorten chain for this. this will make it corner better. i crank up my rebound a couple of clicks from hard front n rear n compression on forks just over haft. i had it set hard but found front would chatter on high speed corners. all my suspension is std at mo but well up grade soon as its not up to the job any more. of course like a true knob ive spent heaps of money getting more power out of the engine to make it go faster n done nothing to the suspension, so its a "must do" now.
    I also roll my bars forward, i find this gives me more control of front end , tank slapping at high speed n makes me seat further forward keeping the weight further forward, fells alittle werd at first tho.
    gear it to the hevens, im using 35/14, i perfer high speed road race tracks than the small tight gokart tracks.
    As far as carb, if yours is standard use bigger main jet to fuel it at top speed around 178 -190, depends on the day n track n lean out the needle by dropping it down a clip or 2 or it will run to rich n be a pig at mid throtle in the corners.
    so in short, rear up, front lower, stiff n short.
    hope this helps.
  • Tito

by Tito » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:45 am

abmjl,
    thanks for you info. Just wrenched on the bike yesterday, lowered the front 12mm. Also played around with comp/rebound, going to run a go cart track tomorrow, i'll see how things go.