Best way, or easiest way to set up GPS?
    Riley

Best way, or easiest way to set up GPS?

by Riley » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:27 am

I see that there are several options, and I'm trying to decide on which to use.

Garmin Legend HcX color.

Such as:
    Track up or North up.
    Which set of LAT/LONG numbers to use.
    Routes vs Tracks.

Finally getting somewhat serious in it's use and Map Source and want to set it up so it's easy and quick to use without a lot of clutter but decent detail.

Trying to make it simple to use and keep it the same as most common setups if possible.

I'd really like the UTM system to be marked on maps so I can use that, but I'm not having much luck there. Easier for me than LAT/LONG.
    Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.

165 main, 42 pilot, JD Red needle 4th clip, R&D Flex fuel screw 2 turns out, open air box, FMF Q4. 4-9000ft, 50-100*
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:09 am

Riley,

Here what you say about UTM but you can easily get use to Lat Long.

If it is mounted on the bike have it setup as track up.

WGS 84 is probably best all rounder but can depend on what maps you have loaded.

Not sure about mapsource but use this all the time.

http://www.oziexplorer.com/
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • jacks2028

by jacks2028 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:01 am

Hey, I visited your site which gives me lots of information about GPS. I don't know too much about GPS system so all the detail are very nice.OziExplorer web-site is very good to get a knowledge about GPS system.
  • jhonkevin

by jhonkevin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:23 am

GPS Repeater provides an instant GPS service indoors.

-Current Position
    -Map Display
    -Tracking Your Movement
    -Using the Arrow Keys
    -Select a Home Waypoint
  • jonnybbush

by jonnybbush » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:22 am

Nice information from you. I have read your post Its about easiest way to set up GPS. and Its so wonderful and nice result too. Thank you for sharing this wonderful page. This is so interesting! and your information is really increase my knowledge. I hope you send more information like this.
  • smithsjhons

by smithsjhons » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:41 am

Good advice from you, as always, I've never thought of forum posts quite like that before. I remember, and your information is really increase my knowledge. I hope you send more information like this.Its help for other user who set up Its GPS system.
  • aurther

by aurther » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:17 am

Well,The Garmin Zumo 550 is designed for left (leaving your handbrake free), installation is recommended on the left handlebar of your bike or in the center console. The Zumo is waterproof and shockproof, it also provides a means of attachment security that prevent theft as long as properly installed. For sport bikes with handle compact, it is recommended to use the center console configuration, while for fun bike mount the zūmo on the left handlebar.
  • cherylfoster

by cherylfoster » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:14 pm

Best way to set up Gps.

Enter and get directions to an address.

Find a Point of Interest.

Program your preferences.

Set up a home location.

Save a destination.

Pair a Bluetooth cell phone to your GPS receiver for hands-free conversations.

Some installations may require additional charges.
    crfsonly
    Owner

Re: Best way, or easiest way to set up GPS?

by crfsonly » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:10 pm

Riley wrote:I see that there are several options, and I'm trying to decide on which to use.

Garmin Legend HcX color.

Such as:
    Track up or North up.
    Which set of LAT/LONG numbers to use.
    Routes vs Tracks.

Finally getting somewhat serious in it's use and Map Source and want to set it up so it's easy and quick to use without a lot of clutter but decent detail.

Trying to make it simple to use and keep it the same as most common setups if possible.

I'd really like the UTM system to be marked on maps so I can use that, but I'm not having much luck there. Easier for me than LAT/LONG.

riley...is your question for use off-road on your CRF?
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

I use a Garmin 60CSx with a RAM bike mount.

by DirtinGirl » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:41 am

I have a Honda CRF230F with a Baja kit and it is important that i have access to MPH (in-town travel) as well as miles traveled for easy tracking of gas consumption. I don't want to get on a trail and not know my gas level. The Garmin 60CSx has proven to be a fantastic little GPS for both my street and trail needs!

I had it mounted on my 2008 Yamaha xt250 and now it is mounted on my Honda crf230f.

I have pics of Garmin mounted on both bikes... just not sure how to load them on here?!?
    crfsonly
    Owner

Re: I use a Garmin 60CSx with a RAM bike mount.

by crfsonly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:35 pm

DirtinGirl wrote:
    I have a Honda CRF230F with a Baja kit and it is important that i have access to MPH (in-town travel) as well as miles traveled for easy tracking of gas consumption. I don't want to get on a trail and not know my gas level. The Garmin 60CSx has proven to be a fantastic little GPS for both my street and trail needs!

I had it mounted on my 2008 Yamaha xt250 and now it is mounted on my Honda crf230f.

I have pics of Garmin mounted on both bikes... just not sure how to load them on here?!?

welcome to CRF's Only! here's a link to posting photos:

http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13007

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by Riley » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Yep, off road use with my CRF.
    Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.

165 main, 42 pilot, JD Red needle 4th clip, R&D Flex fuel screw 2 turns out, open air box, FMF Q4. 4-9000ft, 50-100*
    MattBennett23

by MattBennett23 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:46 am

I have a Garmin 60Cx. It is very sturdy and durable and has a great antenna that very rarely loses signal. It mounts to the handlebars well with a RAM mount. I have it powered by the motorcycle battery and it works great.

I run it as "North Up" since I look at maps before the ride and like to know where on the loop I am. With North Up it is like looking at a map only it shows you right where you are and you can see yourself moving on it. I can usually figure out left or right from checking which way my curser is moving on the screen.

I usually keep it zoomed to around 800 ft as the zoom level. That works well. I have City Navigator software to use it in the car and use VVMapping software for off road use. It has all the michigan orv and snowmobile trails marked on the maps and works great.

Hope this helps some.