Daughters first mx race.
  • edge22

Daughters first mx race.

by edge22 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Here is some video of my daughters first Mx race, she is 12 years old on a crf230f. She had a great time and asked if we could come back next weekend ha ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8uDmwOu ... mOVy9JJXew
  • edge22

by edge22 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:40 pm

Oh yea does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the front end from knifing on this bike? She does get a bit slow in some turns which can help cause that but I have noticed the bike is a bit bad for it.
    Any suggestions? Thanks!
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:50 pm

Man that track looks dark !!

For her first race she did pretty good , just to stay upright from first race nerves is a bonus , she did excellent for a newbie , she held her lines and stayed consistent

As far as the bike knifing , that track looks to be hard packed and not very well maintained , it looks like it has not been disked in years, so are you sure the front is not just sliding out ?? , , from what i remember 230's do not have clicker adjustments , if so , then your only option is adding maybe 5cc's of oil at a time in each side to hold the front up more in the corners , till it stops or lessens the knifing, , what you want to do is get the weight just a little back , to stop the tendency to dig in the corners , without adjusters , your real limited on dialing in the bike too much , between tire compounds , fork oil or fork springs , or maybe more sag
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:27 pm

awesome first race! if the knifing is occuring while turning...from the shadows it appeared like she could move forward on the seat/tank to get more weight on the front end. this would help with traction. but agree, the track looks hard packed and getting the forks and shock springs correct for her weight is critical.
    Last edited by crfsonly on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by edge22 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Yes lighting could be better for sure for the night event. I race their also and the dark spots are bad.
    Yep its a hard pack track for sure. They rip till and water it but by the end of the night it gets packed back in pertty hard.

I forget her weight but I feel the forks are too soft for her weight. I was thinking of what you said by adding some oil and or sliding the forks down in the clamps a little.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:26 am

Yea if she is heavier then the stock specs for the bike ,(dont forget about gear weight) , it would definitely contribute to knifing , since there would be too much weight on the front , i suggested getting the weight back , because of the knifing and being on a hard pack surface , it will help neutralize the bike and take away some of the See-Saw effect you get when entering and exiting corners

You might also suggest she apply the brakes sooner coming into the corners instead of at the corner or apply the front brake like normal but to also ride the rear brake thru the corner and with either technique applying throttle at the same time , it will help the bike hold its position thru the corner more and maintain a flow , instead of moving the weight from back to front on a sketchy surface

Hard Pack tracks are a bit tougher to dial a bike in because of the sketchiness of the track itself , it can blue groove and have marbles at the same time , makes it harder to ride and dial in the bike and makes tire selection and suspension setting so much more critical to get right , thats why i love sand tracks , much more fun to ride and you can go faster with less of a chance to make a costly mistake

On a side note , maybe suggest to the track people to add some sand and bark to the mix and till or disk it in real well and saturate the track the day or night before to keep the moisture in the soil longer, the combination will help to hold the moisture and keep the track a little more loamy longer
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • edge22

by edge22 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:52 pm

Thanks for the imput.