CRF150R decompression mod
  • Cycleeric

CRF150R decompression mod

by Cycleeric » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:34 pm

Is there a mod to remove the decompression lever from the cam and not run it ? The reason Im asking is that I have a 2012 CRF150RB converted for Supermini racing with 17" slicks.

While riding Sunday at VIR the engine developed a tick from the top end. At first I figured it was an exhaust leak from just wrapping my header a couple nights before. I pulled into the pits, cooled the bike down with a couple fans on either side if the engine. I removed the header and checked for any signs of leaks. Found none so reinstalled the header and fired the engine up again to see if I could pin point the noise.

The noise is still there and doesn't change when in or out of gear, clutch engaged or disengaged but does speed up with engine RPM.

Took the bike over to a friend's house on my way home and we pulled the valve and clutch covers. Everything looks to be in place and adjusted properly. The valves are right on spec as well as the cam chain tensioner. We did rotate the engine over and there is a slight tick when the decompression touches the cam each rotation.

Could this be the culprit and have any of you experienced this and how did you repair it ?

Hopefully it's a quick fix so I can ride and race at HerrinCompound.com this weekend

• mossman77

by mossman77 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:54 pm

Make sure the "arm" moves freely and is not binding and that the decompressor clearance is set properly.
    2007 CRF250X
    2004 CRF230F (sold)