150R vs 230F which would be better
  • toolman2674

150R vs 230F which would be better

by toolman2674 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:42 pm

I am looking to get a bike for the first time in a few decades and have it narrowed down to the 150R Expert and the 230F. My question is which would suit me better. I am 40, 5'8" tall, 170 pounds. This will be used for trail riding and riding thru a rolling pasture that gets mowed and baled. There are some decent sized hill but nothing terribly steep. I am never planning on racing/jumping/winding it to the moon, just riding around to be out. I have read the 150R has some issues with getting hot when trail riding without decent airflow across the radiator and the top end needs rebuilt about every 20 hours though I don't know those to be true. I have also read that the 230 can be made a bit more enjoyable by replacing the exhaust, rejetting the carb and gutting the air box though I don't know if that is true either. The last bike I had was a '95 CR125 that was putting out near 250 numbers but I got rid of it in '97 after a serious back and neck injury. Once again, I'm not looking to race, just be back on 2 wheels and have a good time (I'm old, I bruise easy and heel slow lol). I am sure I'm going to feel like a baby deer for a while getting used to riding again. I'd really appreciate input, pros/cons or hear if there's a better option. I've sat on the 250 at the dealer and it is just a bit too tall for me just getting back on the dirt. Thanks for any help, Jon
  • Old Dude

by Old Dude » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:08 am

230 is the better option for you. It is bulletproof and except for the suspension is rock solid. I typed a whole big blurb on this and when I submitted it it went off into computer space some where. Kinda pissed me off. Look at the time for crying out loud. Anyway
    The 150R is a rocket. Its Honda's response to environmentalists attack on 2 stroke engines. They saw the writing on the wall and developed the 150R to compete in the MX Mini Class.
    The short of my long lost first reply to your ask for direction is this. I'm an old guy too. I just bought my 3rd 230. I have modified them and 150f (which shares the same platform) extensively. I also have a highly modified 250X
    Please do not buy an aftermarket exhaust for the 230. They are a waste of money. More exhaust noise does not mean more power. If not already done, open the intake system and get a good air filter, rejet the carb to Mike Coe's recommendations and add a CRFsOnly air screw. If you buy an 05 or earlier 230 do not buy the PowerUp Jet Kit (sorry Ken) Replace the OEM 13 tooth counter sprocket with a 14. Consider, when the time comes, replacing the factory o-ring chain with a quality non o-ring unit: Less drag (lets not argue this please)
    Trust me, we have done endless research on the 230. We have extensive experience in almost all aspects of modifying these smile makers. If you have any questions as to how to fix the suspension or squeeze more power out of these things we can help.
    O.D.
    '06 250X: http://crfsonly.com/forum/garage.php?mo ... le&CID=386
    '03 CRF230
    '04 CRF230
    '08 750 Shadow Spirit
    '01 Polaris Sportsman 600
    '03 CRF50
    '04 KLX110
    Kazuma Falcon90
  • toolman2674

by toolman2674 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:52 am

Thank you very much for the information. The dealers haven't really been much help but in their defense, if they don't personally ride either bike they can't really give advice on either. That's why I came here so I could get an idea from people that actually have ridden them. I'm going to buy a new one because I'm planning to keep it for a while and plan on upgrading it extensively as I go. I'm glad you mentioned the exhaust because that would've been several hundred dollars spent and it looks like the head pipe is a pain to get to seal. It may be spring before I get one but I will definitely get with you when I begin the upgrades. Other than the plastic is there any difference between the '14 and '15?
  • Old Dude

by Old Dude » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:48 pm

The 230f has remained virtually unchanged since 2003. Bold new graphics then minor changes to the shrouds, tank and seat. Why mess with a mechanically sound engine design and frame structure that are simple and uncomplicated. I personally don't know why they don't upgrade the forks and rear brake. They already have the components on the shelves of their warehouse. Price point I suppose, but the for them to come out with a 230M and a 230L Then an expensive water cooled 250L? Come on! How much money did they waste in production set up for those boondoggles. Build the basic platform correctly and then build street legal and SuperMoto packages based on that. Why not a legitimate 250cc air cooled motor in a 230f frame. Conventional XR250 cartridge forks, a real shock (not just a pogo stick with the grips removed) and the rear disc brake from a 230M or L They have all the pieces they just can't seem to put them together in the right package. Heck some of us have already done the R&D for them. Is it any wonder they lost the war? They never saw that coming either. Sorry about the rant. Old Dudes do that sometimes
    O.D.
    '06 250X: http://crfsonly.com/forum/garage.php?mo ... le&CID=386
    '03 CRF230
    '04 CRF230
    '08 750 Shadow Spirit
    '01 Polaris Sportsman 600
    '03 CRF50
    '04 KLX110
    Kazuma Falcon90
  • toolman2674

by toolman2674 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:28 pm

Feel free to rant. That was not only absolutely correct but also hilarious! I'm probably a year out on the suspension but I'm sure at some point it will happen. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a donor bike for the suspension in the next year