Loosing hair from riding
  • Sun

Loosing hair from riding

by Sun » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:47 am

I have this problem...every time I ride my hair at the base of my neck becomes matted and tangled. So does the hair out of my helmet flyn around. Sooo bad I cannot brush after that. At the base of my neck is one of the first places I start to sweat while riding. It is so bad (the tangling) that I cant put a brush through it, it is one big mat! After riding I have to load conditioner on it in the shower before I can do anything to try and detangle and it still doesnt work. I pull out a lot of hair brushing properly from the tips up little by little. Even if I braid it, that one spot gets tangled. And braided while riding the hair tie is right at the edge of the helmet and comes off. At this point I have ripped out so much hair trying to brush it out after riding and showers that I can count the hairs left on my head and it's 2,638 and I need it least 10,777,042,600! HELP!
    Any suggestions?
    Arrgghhh!
  • Beast Rider

by Beast Rider » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:07 am

I use a skull cap that I buy at the bicycle shop. (sport chalet has it too) It looks really ugly on but it helps with the sweating, keeps my helmet dry, the dust out of my hair and no tangles. The down side is it takes some practice to pin your hair up so that it is comfortable under your helmet. I have mastered it now and love the fact that my hair is fairly clean after a ride and my helmet doesn't stink.

• Beast Rider

by Beast Rider » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:18 pm

Is there a CRF trip planned for Cal. City? We usually stay away from the desert that weekend...just too many people, but if someone saves us a site it would make it easier for us. (We always have to work around Jeff's on call schedule and there is a possibility of us going to Castillo Ranch) I have never camped at Cal. City, we drove around a few years back and it seemed like nothing but flat bushy trails, not very scenic camp site. It would be nice to have someone show us the area, we may have just been in the wrong place.

We will be at Dove Springs the end of Oct. but you will be at Barstow.The Poker Run sounds like fun but we are not much for large crowds of people we don't know. It's our first desert trip of the season and we want to RIDE without crowds.

I have been riding the track, nothing crazy ( like you could do crazy on a 230) and it really does help to keep you in shape...keeps my bruises perfectly purple. I'm almost thinking about buying a Yamaha 250 like my Hubbys. Will I be stoned for saying that?

We will definatly have to get together. We didn't have much time to talk on the last ride.
  • Beast Rider

by Beast Rider » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:33 pm

What is definatly??????? just asking myself after I read this on the site. Spell check says it should be defiantly .... I think that fits in there better than my original misspelling.
    befree

by befree » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:25 pm

I have mastered it now and love the fact that my hair is fairly clean after a ride and my helmet doesn't stink.

Hey, I EARNED all that stink in my helmet! I can't go getting rid of it now! ;)

Sun, I have exactly the same problem and am glad to hear I'm not the only one. Seems to get almost gooey with sweat and dust...and ponytails bug me just the same, too. If you find a trick that works, let us know, I'll try it.
    Now a firm believer in neck braces! Don't look at the ruts; don't look at the ruts; don't look at the ruts...
    Jethro

by Jethro » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:01 am

i have a similar problem, but it is mostly my wife making mine a little grayer everytime i mention going riding. at first it made me pull it out but now just the graying :lol: :lol: :lol:
    "Running is not a plan, Running is what you do when the plan fails"
    KRCRFs

by KRCRFs » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:51 am

Ours just falls out because of age.

However, we never thought about using dirt bike riding as an excuse for hair loss.

Now there's a market opportunity! :lol:
    Kim's: 04 250X
    13/51 with +11
    Main Jet: 138
    Air Screw: 2.5 Turns

Kathy's: 04 230F
    13/48 sprockets
    Main Jet: 132
    Air Screw: 1.5 Turns

Common:
    Pilot Jets: 42
    Stock Needles: 4th Pos
    No Screens or Baffles
    Open Air Boxes, Twin Air Filters
  • Sun

by Sun » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:54 am

That skull cap is interesting. Is it made to go under helmets? And what do you use to pin the hair up? It looks like twisting it and tucking up under that thick band would work. Hmmmm I might have to try that.
    I think I've seen those caps on the heads of black athletes...seriously. No insult just an observation. Or something like that. Hey we should start a new trend. Helmet caps....functional and cool! Ok...now Im really thinking...improve on that existing design and make it serve our purpose better (hair and sweat) and be almost cute to wear, so much so when you take your helmet off you keep it on. Yeah! Im making one! Now...today! Wait...I dont sew :cry:
  • Sun

by Sun » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:44 am

Im going to attempt to ride the forest tomorrow with the "Boys" My Son, his friend who is training for Baja and my riding buddies Mark and maybe Phil. Im assuming the trails sre open up there. I hope my wrist holds up. Ive rode some easier stuff with the brace and it was ok but tomorrow I think were taking this switch back with cliff on one side. Its also a trial about 12" wide. I Love those, when Im feeling confident that is. Not so confident right now, feeling rusty. Its all about steady momentum and not looking over the edge! I tend to grip the bars too tight on these type of rides. And there is this one hair pin turn that hopefully with this rain I'll stick just enough and make it in one try. Im thinking I'll jump on Phil's bike (hopefully) if he comes, he has the Rekluse and I think it will make things a lot easier on my wrist for this particular ride. I lucked out its my left wrist/hand.
    I seriously would love a custom skull cap. AKA Rider's Cap! Not to be confused with cradle cap! lol
    How are those valves coming? :D
  • Sun

by Sun » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:26 am

Hey I'll watch you sew because I cant. But I will ride with you!!! Im your friend! :cry:
    Motomom

by Motomom » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:46 pm

Well, my hair likes to go wild also. I've come to the conclusion that I can't brush it without tearing out a bunch too. So I just wait til I get home and hit the showers and load up the conditioner. My hubby and the kids all sleep on the way back and I do the driving. They take care of the trailer and I get the shower first. :D
    AMA Member - BRC Member - NMA Member
  • craver19

by craver19 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:48 pm

Well ladies I have the same problem. This is what I do to combat the split end whoas. Put it in pig tails that are low at the base of your neck but fall forward. When your done riding put on a hat till you can hit the shower and let your conditioner do the detangling. Don't try to brush it out, because most of your hair will be in your brush. :x If you color your hair (like most of us do) use a decent shampoo and conditioner. Look at this way the more tangles you have, the harder your riding, and the harder your riding the more fun you'll be havin and everything else in life is just a SO WHAT! Hope this info helps. Helmet head is somethin i dread, but if i cant ride i'd rather be dead. LOL Michelle :lol:
  • her_crf

by her_crf » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:03 pm

hi i am new to this site, but i have a suggestion for you ladies to keep your hair nice without cutting it off or wearing a cap that im sure the guys will make fun of. my trick to keeping my hair decent while riding is while your hair is wet spray it with hair spray while in a pony tail then braid it all the way down putting a small tie on the end. you can put a few ties in the middle if you have layers..my hair used to be very long, to my bottom, and when i do this i can ride all day and still have nice hair later on. hope this helps :)
    paul turner

by paul turner » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:32 am

her_crf wrote:hi i am new to this site, but i have a suggestion for you ladies to keep your hair nice without cutting it off or wearing a cap that im sure the guys will make fun of. my trick to keeping my hair decent while riding is while your hair is wet spray it with hair spray while in a pony tail then braid it all the way down putting a small tie on the end. you can put a few ties in the middle if you have layers..my hair used to be very long, to my bottom, and when i do this i can ride all day and still have nice hair later on. hope this helps :)

Works for me :D
    If you ain't crashin', you ain't ridin' :-)