Moody Swamp to Driggs,ID and Garns report.
    Riley

Moody Swamp to Driggs,ID and Garns report.

by Riley » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Finally made it into Driggs across the mountains.

The weather yesterday looked somewhat sketchy so it was touch and go. We started at Moody Meadows and Thousand Springs trail head. Took 1,000 Springs up to Hilton Creek. Up Hilton to North Canyon Creek trail. We got the junction to either up to Garns or down Mahogany and into Driggs. We stopped for a bit to decide on the weather and chose to go for it down Mahogany. Mahogany was a pretty good trail and we encountered a few hikers and mountain bikers who were all very polite. Mahogany turns into 236 then to W 300 S to the pavement.

After getting to the pavement, we turned left(North) onto S 500 W (Victor-Sedron-Bates Rd). From there we continued North to Bates Rd where we turn right(East) onto the gravel road and followed it all the way as it turned into S. Bates and then intersects HWY 33 south of Driggs. We rode on the edge of the road into Driggs and then just on the road when we got to town. The sheriff or two that we saw just waved like it was no big deal. Non plated bikes as we don't need them off road now so we just risked it. Stayed on the side roads and were careful and polite. Tourist town so I think they don't really care. Found O'Rourkes for lunch and then headed home.

The weather had made for great dirt and was only slick in a few spots with some puddling but nothing major. It was a little slower going at times. On the way back, I took a detour off the trail and down the hill which took about an hour for us to get the bike back up the slick soft dirt. Took a few rolls and the bike turned over side ways at least once. No damage other than a small ding in the swing arm and a few scratches. Couldn't use the bike as much as it would just slide sideways and end up straight up and down the hill.

We ended up at about 53 miles and didn't need to get gas in Driggs. If we took another route or started at a different spot, we would have fueled up in town. My Dunlop 952 tires are holding up great and seem to have enough traction for me so far. About 300 miles on them on dirt, some rocks and roots. Really enjoying the Rekluse EXP 2.0 other than it doesn't hold the bike from rolling back when we had to get the bike back to the trail. We got lucky with the weather at it was cloudy and had been wet but we got only a few sprinkles so it was nice and cool, but shortly after I got home it opened up in town anyway.

Next time, we'll start a little farther away to add a few more miles and time. We had plenty of time even with my episode so we should be fine to add another 20 or so this time of year.
    Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.

165 main, 42 pilot, JD Red needle 4th clip, R&D Flex fuel screw 2 turns out, open air box, FMF Q4. 4-9000ft, 50-100*
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:48 pm

jealous and i know someone else who is too! ;-)
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by Riley » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:29 pm

Come on up, but you better hurry if you want to go this year! You're both welcome to ride with us.
    Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.

165 main, 42 pilot, JD Red needle 4th clip, R&D Flex fuel screw 2 turns out, open air box, FMF Q4. 4-9000ft, 50-100*