last minute ride - Stansbury Trail
    riddler9

last minute ride - Stansbury Trail

by riddler9 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Got news the other day that I can get my hand fixed on the 5th. Talking with my son this morning we quickly realized that at most we may be able to get 3 rides in after healing but before the snow falls, so we decided on a last minute trip to the Stansbury Trail. The trail has several trail heads with the closest about 15 minutes from my house, but today we went up South Willow Canyon (about 35 minutes away). Starting at South Willow puts the hardest part of the ride at the beginning - you ride out then back on the same trail. Like many mountain trails going 1 direction is easier than the other. The Stansbury Trail is about 25 miles in total if you ride end to end (we only rode half today)

The trail is very well maintained. Horses, foot, Mtn. bike, and MC only. Most of the ride has you traversing the side of the mountain with occasional big rocks and tight switchbacks. The trail would likely fall under a "B ride" in good weather, "A ride" when wet. Beginners and those that cant handle riding on the edge should stay at the truck - if you drop a wheel of in many spots you need a good footing and maybe some help to get the bike back on the trail. By a wheel off, I am talking trail is 18" wide and if you go 19" your off the bike.

Most of the trail is hillside, but about 20% is under canopy.

My son spent some time frustrated, I was tired (still way out of shape), but we made it back with smiles.

Getting ready to head out
    \/\/\/\/\/\/

Son thinking it over after looping out on a switch back
    \/\/\/\/\/\/

He really does not want to deal with this part of the trail
    \/\/\/\/\/\/

Feeling much better after checking it out and finding broken parts, boot straps, and lots of rubber on the rocks from others that had problems in this same section
    \/\/\/\/\/\/

Well deserved victory dance
    \/\/\/\/\/\/

Great views - we live in the dark section just bellow his right elbow
    \/\/\/\/\/\/

A few more photos of the hillside
    \/\/\/\/\/\/

Last edited by riddler9 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Official Lurker

crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:02 pm

looks like an awesome ride! great pictures! riding with your son...priceless!
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com