CRF X idles rough and throttle stalls bike
  • dolson73

CRF X idles rough and throttle stalls bike

by dolson73 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:40 am

Hi All,
    I have never had a need to post until now so any feed back would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2006 CRF X that I just bought. Have about 7 or 8 rides on it and it has been running great.

All of a sudden it is hard to start and when it does start it idles rough and not smooth like it used to. Then after 30 seconds of idling or so, if I crack the throttle at all the engine hesitates and almost gasps and it will usually back fire then quit. I can't start it again for another hour or so.

I have drained the tank thinking it was bad gas. Checked the plug which seems good but I haven't replaced yet (lots of spark). Checked the fuel filter in the tank and all lines leading to the card. Removed the float bolt and there was a little sediment in there but not much. It did seem to run a little better after this but still bogs and dies with throttle action.

Can anybody give me ideas where to go from here?

Thanks
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:55 am

Welcome to the site!!

You most likely have one of two things occuring.

Easy: Your pilot jet is clogged. Pull and thoroughly clean or replace.

Harder: You intake valves have tightened up. Check and verify proper clearances.

See here: http://crfsonly.com/howto/450r/valve-ch ... -check.php
  • dolson73

by dolson73 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:22 pm

What about the accelerator pump? This kind of acts like a symptom. If I roll the throttle slowly it will rev up. But when i goose it it dies like I described. How easy would this be to change?

I will definitely try those suggestions though.

Thank You.
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:05 pm

dolson73 wrote:What about the accelerator pump? This kind of acts like a symptom. If I roll the throttle slowly it will rev up. But when i goose it it dies like I described. How easy would this be to change?

I will definitely try those suggestions though.

Thank You.

It could be he AP...we've been seeing that alot lately. Gas will eat the rubber diaphragm up and send little rubber particles through the ports and passageways.

You'll need to remove the float bowl and remove the AP cover from it to get to the diaphragm.