rear brakes
  • Gadget

rear brakes

by Gadget » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:42 am

I have a 2006 crf 450 r and I have done the brakes many times. For some reason I can not get the pads in with the back spring clip? Is it a problem for me to ride without it?
    JimDirt

Re: rear brakes

by JimDirt » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:59 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

What I think is happening is the caliper is not sliding on the mount , the caliper (where the pads are) slides back and forth on a pin , what I am guessing is happening is the caliper is stuck in place over to one side when the pads wore down , now there is not enough room to push the piston in , nor the pad over , and the extra space for the plate is holding it back , you would need to remove the caliper from the mount and clean/grease the pin and reassemble and you should be good , the caliper should slide back and forth on the mount using hand pressure (forcefully , but it can be moved by hand and should do so)

IF that is not the issue then I am guessing the new pads are slightly larger than the old ones , most likely due to powder coating , in which case the plate tabs wont "catch" , you can either scrape down the pain in the tab areas , or slightly bend the tabs , but be careful , as they are spring steel , and do not like to bend easily without snapping off

You "can" run the pads without the plate however what it is made for is to absorb/dissipate the heat from the pad as you are using the brakes , what "can" happen is the piston seal in the caliper can fail because of this , not saying that is 100% , but it is likely and that is why the plates were put on there as a heat shield ... So to answer your question .... Yes you can run without it .... But I would not recommend it , especially if you moto and are hard on the brakes ....I have cooked Calipers even with the shield in place , as I am a brake dragger in corners and have fried 3 calipers over the last few years ....

What I would recommend is to try to find what is causing it not to fit or stay in place and correct that issue rather than just eliminate the plate and possibly cause a much bigger issue ..... ;)

Hopefully I answered what you were questioning .... if not , tell me what I missed and I will try to figure it out again .... :-k
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho