Radiator overflow/idle issue
  • BSmith

Radiator overflow/idle issue

by BSmith » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:36 am

I am working on my bike today. Haven't ridden in quite some time and realized I had gas/carb issues. The bike is an '06 250x. I pulled the main jet and made sure it was clear. Not sure if this was the smart thing to do but used compressed air, very gently, to run some air through the carb. Replaced the spark plug and drained/added fresh gas. Now the bike is running but will not idle when I turn the choke off. After running for a while I shut it off and noted the gurgling in the overflow. I checked the oil to verify it wasn't milky. Looks fine. Looking at the overflow I'm not seeing any oil. I did a search on the forum and found a post where the person had the same issue. Someone suggested it was the hot start sticking. I checked the hot start lever and it doesn't seem to be stuck open. I could see where it goes into the carb. Just not sure how to diagnose. Thoughts?

Ken,

I used to post and purchase under I believe bbf501. Id was locked and needed to use my newer one anyways. So I'm not new...Just returning...:)

Bill
  • BSmith

lube?

by BSmith » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:04 pm

Is it possible to somehow oil/lubricate? Sounds like plunger might be stuck..Thoughts?
  • BSmith

??

by BSmith » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:25 pm

Seem like I can remove wthout pulling the carb.
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:44 pm

It can (and should) be cleaned and lightly lubed. Contact cleaner to spray off the plunger and spring, contact cleaner on a rag to wipe out the hole. White lithium works to lube the plunger, just a very small amount is all you need. Too much and you will pull it in the carb and/or collect dirt.

Technically you can pull the cable without taking the carb off, but total pain. I always pull the carb with the cable still on it (remove from hot start lever). Takes far less time than trying to get the hot start cable off. FWIW, manual says to pull the hot start cable from the carb to remove the carb - bah.
    Official Lurker

motosicko

by motosicko » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:43 am

You said you pulled the main jet and it was clear. That jet doesn't have any affect on idle, you need to pull the pilot jet and clean it.
    "There are old racers
    and there are bold racers,
    but there are no old, bold racers who don't walk funny."