2005 CRF250R Seized!!
  • depotij

by depotij » Mon May 19, 2008 2:50 pm

I will be posting you guys at 9am est tomorrow and let you all know how i make out with the dealer. This d-bag better fix this bike.
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Mon May 19, 2008 3:11 pm

krisrtch wrote:
    124 wrote:I've been in and out of trannies a bunch of times.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :-$ Don't ask don't tell :-$

I guess we know what that business trip to Asia was all about... :shock: :lol: :lol:

by 124 » Tue May 20, 2008 5:12 am

~ wrote:
    krisrtch wrote:
    124 wrote:I've been in and out of trannies a bunch of times.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :-$ Don't ask don't tell :-$

I guess we know what that business trip to Asia was all about... :shock: :lol: :lol:

:roll: Shhhh... ;)
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
  • depotij

by depotij » Tue May 20, 2008 3:18 pm

Well they have my bike on the lift already. That is impressive. Sounds like to me they want me to buy a new bike instead of fix this one. They even took an 08 CRF250R of the floor for me incase I decide to buy a new bike instead of fix this one. Someone said it was most likely the big bearing in the crank? What the heck is the big bearing?
    woodsman

by woodsman » Tue May 20, 2008 3:21 pm

Wow, how much do they want you to pay for the new bike? That's pretty impressive service compared to my local dealer! :shock: :D
    Currently, 05 450X
    Previously, KTM 790 Adv R, Cbr600rr, Crf450R, Crf250X
  • depotij

by depotij » Tue May 20, 2008 3:39 pm

That is why i think they want me to buy a new bike. There is usually a 2 week waiting period before your bike is looked at. They want them to come back and say too bad. I think they said they would give me 2,000 for mine and then maybe 3,500 i would have to come up with for the new one.
    woodsman

by woodsman » Tue May 20, 2008 5:57 pm

Tell them no thanks on that deal! :shock: Yours is worth wayyyy more, and this isn't your fault in the beginning... :?
    Currently, 05 450X
  • depotij

by depotij » Tue May 20, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks dude, i needed to hear that. I feel like they are trying to take me for a ride.
    woodsman

by woodsman » Tue May 20, 2008 6:34 pm

You guessed it! The 05's are considered to be one of the best years, I'd say its worth easily 3500.
    Currently, 05 450X
  • depotij

by depotij » Tue May 20, 2008 6:44 pm

That is why i want to keep it. I couldn't believe the power on that bike. Everyone that took it for a ride was blown away that it was only a 250. I will let you know tomorrow what they say. I'm sure it will be good entertainment.

by 124 » Wed May 21, 2008 6:56 am

depotij wrote:That is why i want to keep it. I couldn't believe the power on that bike. Everyone that took it for a ride was blown away that it was only a 250. I will let you know tomorrow what they say. I'm sure it will be good entertainment.

There should be some kind of amicable agreement. Giving you $2k for your bike blown up is not a bad deal in itself, but it apparently isn't your fault that it blew up. Proving that point is the kicker. So it is up to you, it doesn't sound like they are helping you out much besides getting you bike on the stand immediately. This is the exact reason why I don't buy used race bikes, unless I know the bike personally.

You need to work with someone of authority in that place and have a serious talk. You bought a bike used and it blew up on the first ride. A crankshaft bearing (there is only one on the thumpers so we don't really need to specify "big end") is a big job. Who knows what else is wrong once you open the cases up. I've seen clean ones that only needed the crank rebuilt or replaced, and I've seen the nightmare of new cases, cylinders, and trans bearings. It is not as simple as going in and replacing "just the crank". There are "do-care" items that get swapped just because. The dealer will not likely tell you about these until you give them the go ahead to do the work and they're half-way in. you'll basically have no choice.

"If it were me..." take this advise with a grain of salt. This will surely be a learning experience for you. You will either cut your losses and not ride anymore or you will be spending a relatively large amount of money to get going again. OR get super lucky and the dealer takes care of everything. Possible, but not probable.

The advise:

---Talk to the service manager, sales associate, and/or sales manager all at the same time. Request and organize the meeting. Remain calm, lay out the scenario with detail, and politely request them to give you your options. You'll know immediately if they are going to help you or not. Giving you $2k (not sure how much you paid for the bike in question) and discounting a new bike is unacceptable. You bought a bike and should be entitled to ride one without spending large amounts of money to fix it right away. See what happens.
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
  • depotij

by depotij » Wed May 21, 2008 7:31 am

That was very helpful. I am going to do exactly what you said. I am basically waiting for the call any hour now. I will let you know how it goes. I am just so pissed that it happened. I've always bought used motocross bikes, but they were all two strokes and the first thing i did was replace top end, and never had any problems. This was my first four stroke, and now I am scared riding it hard.
    crfpwr

by crfpwr » Thu May 22, 2008 12:20 pm

Dude thats all bull, is this a honda dealer?

The advise:

---Talk to the service manager, sales associate, and/or sales manager all at the same time. Request and organize the meeting. Remain calm, lay out the scenario with detail, and politely request them to give you your options. You'll know immediately if they are going to help you or not. Giving you $2k (not sure how much you paid for the bike in question) and discounting a new bike is unacceptable. You bought a bike and should be entitled to ride one without spending large amounts of money to fix it right away. See what happens

This is great advise, if they don't want to work with you screw them.... All they want from you is money... First 2700 now another 3500, no way dude for far less you can rebuild yours and still have a new bike... I mean why would you even want to give them any more money?

Plus most are the parts are not to expensive, so I would just rebuild yours if they wont fix it...

I am rebuilding the top end on mine right now because a similar problem... So I know what you are going through....The top end on my bike is only going to run me 600...

• depotij

by depotij » Thu May 22, 2008 12:22 pm

yes it is a honda dealer.
    crfpwr

by crfpwr » Thu May 22, 2008 3:41 pm

I don't know if you caught the rest of the post? I kind of screwed that one up....

This is great advise, if they don't want to work with you screw them.... All they want from you is money... First 2700 now another 3500, no way dude for far less you can rebuild yours and still have a new bike... I mean why would you even want to give them any more money?

Plus most are the parts are not to expensive, so I would just rebuild yours if they wont fix it...

I am rebuilding the top end on mine right now because a similar problem... So I know what you are going through....The top end on my bike is only going to run me 600...