Locked 43 posts
Engine Modifications
    -r0b-

by -r0b- » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:33 pm

OLDFATGUY wrote:rekluse with rear hand brake option! Rekluse red clutch cover. quiet aftermarket lightweight pipe. jd jetting for sure. twinn air with cage. air box mods. hammerhead shifter. OFG

What about the exclusive OFG in-frame aux fuel tank?
    -r0b-
    Middle TN

Lurker Extraordinaire
  • JoePezz

by JoePezz » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:37 pm

JD Jet Kit
    Boyesen Quickshot
    Smog Block Off Kit
    Open Air Box
    CRF's Only Fuel Screw
    Twin Air Powerflow
    ZipTy Fuel Screw
    FMF Powerbomb Header
    FMF Factory 4.1 Carbon OR FMF Titanium Q
    Rekluse with Perch adjuster (rear hand brake is a little too out of the norm for most people. I don't think a lot of people would like that)
    Rekluse Clutch Cover
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:19 am

Has anyone actually put one of these aftermarket cams in? Does it change the engines linearness

Hey RR, Nowazzu put in a stage 2 and really likes it, I'm putting one in today.
    This weather sucks, it's the coldest day of the year in Ohio, and I want to slam in this cam and go test it. Damn. 13 degrees !
    The plan was to install it, test it, blow away Rob in a drag race and tell him it was just the jetting. Curses, foiled again !
    Nowazzu, tell the boys all about this stage 2 !
    Doug
  • JoePezz

by JoePezz » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:06 pm

-r0b- wrote:
    OLDFATGUY wrote:rekluse with rear hand brake option! Rekluse red clutch cover. quiet aftermarket lightweight pipe. jd jetting for sure. twinn air with cage. air box mods. hammerhead shifter. OFG

I don't know about that. Some people my not feel comfortable with that (At the magazine.) I think an IMS 3.2 will be perfect.

Has anyone thought about a Boyesen Water Pump Cover and Impeller? I think that would be a good addition for cooling and more HP when the engine is hot.
    OLDFATGUY

by OLDFATGUY » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:05 pm

Yep! 52oz of free fuel, no weight gain. The guys at DR are probably not ready for it though! OFG
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:26 pm

boyesen hasn't made one yet for the x....otherwise it would be a great idea. fluidyne has radiatiors for the x. more capacity, more cooling surface area, and greater strength. what do you think?

ken
    uniped

by uniped » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:29 pm

Fluidynes good
    Hot running trail bike bad

Scott
    Ted

by Ted » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:33 pm

-r0b- wrote:

:idea: I think its a good idea. That is something unique and useful.
    It shows the massive amount of useful and shared information available from our site. :idea:

Did I say this is fun :D :D :D :D
    CRF450R '05
    IMS tank
    GPR stabilizer
    Longhorn bars
    Devol skidplate
    Pro Moto Billet S/A

Ride it like you stole it!!!
    If your not wrecking your not riding hard enough!
  • JoePezz

by JoePezz » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:13 pm

crfsonly wrote:boyesen hasn't made one yet for the x....otherwise it would be a great idea. fluidyne has radiatiors for the x. more capacity, more cooling surface area, and greater strength. what do you think?

ken

I was not aware an X model was not yet avaiable.

The Fluidynes sound nice. Are they any heavier than stock??
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:47 pm

i haven't compared the weight...but my guess is yes...along with the extra fluid. however, a cooler running bike produces more power and especially more than one that is spewing water on the side of the trail.

if someone has weighed the stock raditors let us know as i can weigh the fluidynes.

ken
    OLDFATGUY

by OLDFATGUY » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:01 am

Looks like the stock exhaust weighs 9 pounds!(mid pipe and silencer) Can anyone else confirm this? My scale is a little iffy with very low weight. OFG
  • Old Dude

by Old Dude » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:40 am

Aw, the old pipe debate. Hows bout yous build the bike complete with the OEM exhaust; test it then put on the aftermarket of choice and test it. Consider wt vs performance throw in the db levels and then make your decision. Switching pipes is a relatively quick process so it should not be too big a task to do a comparison.
    '06 250X: http://crfsonly.com/forum/garage.php?mo ... le&CID=386
    '03 CRF230
    '04 CRF230
    '08 750 Shadow Spirit
    '01 Polaris Sportsman 600
    '03 CRF50
    '04 KLX110
    Kazuma Falcon90
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:53 am

OLDFATGUY wrote:Looks like the stock exhaust weighs 9 pounds!(mid pipe and silencer) Can anyone else confirm this? My scale is a little iffy with very low weight. OFG

i weighed the stock SLIP-On slincer for our e2 product review (http://crfsonly.com/reviews/white-bothe ... review.php) and it weighed 8lb. 2 oz. the e2 weighed 6lb. 7oz. some may say that's not much weight to be concerned with...the thing to remember is this weight runs high on the bike which has a more significant affect on handling and how "lite" the bike feels than does weight that's low on the bike. for example, honda engineers lowered the radiators on the '06 crf450r JUST 5mm and it helped the overall feel of the bike. so, losing ~2lb. up high can make a big difference in how the bike feels and handles.

ken
  • Old Dude

by Old Dude » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:38 am

Ken,
    A point well taken and one that I had actually considered. Just the, seemingly small, wt saving up high, improved performance and any minimal db increase may well be worth the investment
    I rode my neighbors OEM equiped 450X the other day and thought that it had reasonable power and was nice and quiet. But maybe a few more dbs would make it sound even more powerfull; if you know what I mean.
    We may have ended the debate here on this one. (yeah right!) If you must have quiet, OEM may be the route you want to take. But for overall performance improvement (weight/handling/power) with minimal environmental impact (if it comes in under the regulated db limit how can they beef it?) a well researched aftermarket unit, sounds like the ticket.
    '06 250X: http://crfsonly.com/forum/garage.php?mo ... le&CID=386
    '03 CRF230
    '04 CRF230
    '08 750 Shadow Spirit
    '01 Polaris Sportsman 600
    '03 CRF50
    '04 KLX110
    Kazuma Falcon90
    nowazzu

by nowazzu » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:08 am

dobent4@yahoo.com wrote:
    Has anyone actually put one of these aftermarket cams in? Does it change the engines linearness

Hey RR, Nowazzu put in a stage 2 and really likes it, I'm putting one in today.
    This weather sucks, it's the coldest day of the year in Ohio, and I want to slam in this cam and go test it. Damn. 13 degrees !
    The plan was to install it, test it, blow away Rob in a drag race and tell him it was just the jetting. Curses, foiled again !
    Nowazzu, tell the boys all about this stage 2 !
    Doug

Sorry, I'm not really following this too closely since I have been out testing for some upcoming races. As for the Stage 2 cam, it really compliments the motor more than changing its overall characteristics. I tried the stage 1 and didn't like it in the X. It added too much low end grunt which was not what I was after. The bike signed off to early and lost top end overall. The stage 2 cam took what the motor already does and made it stronger. It reeves a little quicker but the power gains were very linear. In simplest terms, it felt like I was riding a 600cc motor. The engine sound was tighter (more like an R) and coupled with the Big Gun pipe, the exhaust note was pretty impressive.

I'm sure Doug has had his out by now... What say you Doug??
    -nowazzu-
    05' CRF450X
Locked 43 posts