Locked 47 posts
Dirt Rider's Internet Project Bike
  • xman

by xman » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:07 pm

450X all the way!!
    I agree with the stock exhaust idea. We all know and love the power this thing has out of the box. It will also be one of the most quiet bikes. That is always impressive.
    We should strive to make it lighter than the others in the same catagory. I think we might want to start with deciding on specific systems such as susp, engine, handling, etc. It will probably be more efficient than trying to create a whole new machine at one time.

Just a thought
    Could you repeat that? In English this time!
    RottenRob

by RottenRob » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:25 pm

I would really like to strongly disagree with keeping the stock exhaust. An after market exhaust will shed a significant amount of weight with equal to or greater HP. It is a win win situation. I think the stock exhaust is great to but there are better ones made. The idea is to make the best bike possible not the best stock bike. Using your logic for keeping the exhaust stock would then apply to a lot of the other items we are changing. Would keeping the stock triple clamps really impress the judges/Dirt Rider or would an after market triple clamp that is lighter and stronger be the way to go? I think the answer is obvious and I hope some of you will listen to reason. Well atleast I think it is reasonable. Please explain the upside of using the stock exhaust because I am not seeing it :)
    Remember it has to be 96dbls or less with a spark arrestor and the aftermarket exhaust systems meet and or beat those standards.
    Life's tough, but it is even tougher when you're stupid.
    -r0b-

by -r0b- » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:39 pm

RottenRob wrote: I was hoping Ken will be in the 180-200lb range so he can test it :D.

That'd be without a wallet in his pocket. If he's packing all of Doug's money around with him he'll likely weigh in well over 400lbs.
    -r0b-
    Middle TN

Lurker Extraordinaire
    OLDFATGUY

by OLDFATGUY » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:55 pm

I VOTE FOR THE 450X I like Dougs list of parts. We need to use a lighter but quiet exhaust system, or slip on, the stocker is good, but very heavy. Surely this means fender stickers must be on the way!!!! OFG
    OLDFATGUY

by OLDFATGUY » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:13 pm

And how about a set of those rotating pegs. I hear they are great for the woods. OFG
    Danny

by Danny » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:50 pm

I am going to say lets build an 450x.I ride an R but,The 450x forum post alot more.Lets face it the 450r mods are done every month in every magazine and I haven't seen alot done on the x model.What ever is we choose this should keep us laughing for a while.Just my.02 worth Danny
    OLDFATGUY

by OLDFATGUY » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:51 pm

Ken, do you have to buy a bike? OFG
  • Smash

by Smash » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:03 pm

Danny wrote:I am going to say lets build an 450x.I ride an R but,The 450x forum post alot more.Lets face it the 450r mods are done every month in every magazine and I haven't seen alot done on the x model.What ever is we choose this should keep us laughing for a while.Just my.02 worth Danny

You hit the nail on the head!! :D
    Roady

by Roady » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:04 pm

RottenRob wrote: Please explain the upside of using the stock exhaust because I am not seeing it :)

The upside is they named in bike of the year specifically because of the exhaust in '05 even though they rated something else higher in points (if I remember correctly). I don't disagree with changing it out however, just listing an upside.
    It is a good day to ride
    '05 CRF 450X / '07 300X(C-w) / '08 690R Enduro
  • xman

by xman » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:19 pm

I see several people talking about different types of exhaust. i.e. weight, sound, design, etc. I for one DO run an aftermarket system (Rocket) and I love it. I also think the stock system is one of the best I've seen on a stock bike.
    Has anyone done an acutal test to determine the real weight difference between all the manufactures and the stock unit? :-k
    I was using a White Bros system, went riding and it failed a sound test by a ranger. I am not saying that it is White Bros fault, but depending on the test and the person testing, there can be a difference in what they advertise and actual real world levels. It would just really suck to get blown out of this competition due to a few decibles and the for the sake of a pound or two.
    I hope that this clears up the point I was trying make earlier.
    Hey Doug, love the list! :lol:
  • xman

by xman » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:24 pm

How about an all black 450X with sublimented red CRF'S only graphics and of course all of the usual anodized trick parts?

Yes? No?......any thoughts?
    Just throwing out ideas...you know, that whole creative juices thing.....
    Last edited by xman on Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Old Dude

by Old Dude » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:38 pm

I say the 450x. I ride a 250x but think in the greater scheme of things the450x is a better platform on which to build. My suggestion is spend the money more on improving performanceand ease of maintanance and minimize the bling factor. Oh don't get me wrong I like the bling stuff too but let's not lose site of the objective. It's a best bike contest not a show bike contest.
    O.D.
    '06 250X: http://crfsonly.com/forum/garage.php?mo ... le&CID=386
    '03 CRF230
    '04 CRF230
    '08 750 Shadow Spirit
    '01 Polaris Sportsman 600
    '03 CRF50
    '04 KLX110
    Kazuma Falcon90
    uniped

by uniped » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:44 pm

S.I.V. has a couple of things going there...
    1. we should try to get a working order started and check each section of the bike as we go.
    2.Its has been mentioned a few times color change we should get a poll to chose a color. I like white. and the CRFsOnly graphics are a must.
    We are all fairly sure the 450X as a trailbike is the route we will be going. Ken is there an order you would like to start with?
    Once the excitement eases up a little we may find that Dougs point of accessorizing and refining the package is a good idea as well we could throw every aftermarket part at this thing and miss our mark. mild performance and specific suspension and protection blended with the bling is sure to be one hell of a trail bike. another view on this is the consumer will see something he can do easily through Kens site. if we go nuts with high dollar performance gains the dollar signs fly in the average guys head and they begin to think how far out of his range that is. While we can make this the trickest bike in the forest it really doesn't need everything available to be the best it can be. Dirt Rider could do that on there own if thats what they wanted and not give a great opportunity to a retailer who might otherwise never see publicity like this.
  • Mr Smith

by Mr Smith » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:45 pm

I vote 450X. :D
  • Ironwill

by Ironwill » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:31 pm

the 450x would also be cool but the honda 450r is expose to be 2006 best bike
Locked 47 posts