How To Get Started with Weight Lifting?
  • robertaguirre

How To Get Started with Weight Lifting?

by robertaguirre » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:09 pm

Can anyone help with getting started with weight lifting at home, without going to the gym? How do you start? If we were to buy just one or two things to get started, what would we need? A set of 5-LB dumbbells?? Can you recommend some YouTube videos that are good for starting out? I need advice for both me and my husband-- we are both wanting to get started.
    JimDirt

Re: How To Get Started with Weight Lifting?

by JimDirt » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:44 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the "weight training" , you if it is for riding moto , you want more stamina rather than physical body mass , which may impede riding due to arm pump ,etc , the more lactic acid you build up , the more arm pump you will get , so training for physical movement and core strength is more appropriate than lifting weight ,at leas heavy weights .... light weight is fine for building muscle without getting mass

Personally , I use a Elliptical and a Bowflex Ultimate , and that is all I really need aside from walking ,etc ... I am 61 and still ride moto and trail ride ....

Again ,it all depends on wha you are trying to do and what your specific goals are , but for moto , core strength and stamina is where you need to concentrate your efforts , not physical mass , so you do not need heavy weights for that , you need aerobic type workouts ... that will do you the most good ... expand your lungs ,and learn to control heart rate and work on core strength ..... you can be overweight , and still ride decently if you have those things

Not sure if that answered your questions or not ..... 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • johnmartin

Re: How To Get Started with Weight Lifting?

by johnmartin » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:19 am

Can anyone help with getting started with weight lifting at home, without going to the gym? How do you start? If we were to buy just one or two things to get started, what would we need? A set of 5-LB dumbbells?? Can you recommend some YouTube videos that are good for starting out? I need advice for both me and my husband-- we are both wanting to get started.
    Yes you can start at your Home. You need to buy straight weight rood and one bicep rood and some weight bars. And one bench for chest exercise..