Dr. Mark Knee injury
  • gmrobert

Dr. Mark Knee injury

by gmrobert » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Thank you for your time Doc!

I took a little blow to my left knee. I ride woods and had my left foot forward making a sweeper. I failed to notice a large rock and it hit my heel. It drove my foot toward my hip, not out or back. My foot didn't twist or get hung. It "jammed" my knee. For six weeks I have had a lot of fluid on my knee and it pops loudly when bent beyond 45 degrees. I have a loss of flexibility and severe pain when exercising. My family doctor examined my knee closely and didn't think I had damaged my ACL due to the lack of free movement. She suggested the popping and swelling would last a month and both leave. Like any unwelcome guest it hasn't left and I am going to have her give it another look. I understand there have been several medical studies suggesting draining the fluid may have more negative effects than positive. What are you thoughts on this procedure? She offered a cortisone treatment as well which I refused for now. What are your thoughts on cortisone?
    Tim2007

by Tim2007 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:41 am

Swelling is a natural part of the healing process. A month is not too bad. But I feel that your meniscus may have taken a beating. Did they schedule you for an MRI?
    If not I would ask for one. An XRay will only show bone damage.
    My Buddy just went through this and had to have his meniscus repaired from something exactly as you described.
    Good Luck
    TIM
  • gmrobert

by gmrobert » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:28 pm

Thanks for the reply Tim. I appreciate the reinforcement. I'll request an MRI.