Knee surgery..
  • FAiJT

Knee surgery..

by FAiJT » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:31 pm

I am about to do a "artroskopi" knee sergery on my left knee, the outer meniscus is damaged on two different places. Now i was wondering if anyone has done one ? Did you get 100% ?

Thanks in advance.
    MXHJosh

by MXHJosh » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:38 pm

100%? no, probably not. I had the same surgery almost 2 years ago, although I can do most of what I used to do, the burning sensation in my knee is a constant reminder to be cautious. Also after a long ride, or running (required in my job) I notice an inflamed "puffy" feeling in my knee. I no longer run for excercise to save what cartialage I have left, instead I do lower impact excercises to build muscle around the joint. As far as flexibility goes, I would say I am 100% but it took some work to get there, if you are able to force yourself to ignore the pain while you are recovering and do some stretching you will get there sooner, but take it a little at a time, dont overdo it, you will come around.

Heating pad for 15-20 minutes before excercise, and ice for 10 minutes after excercise. and Ibuprofin to keep the swelling down on a long ride, you'll be golden and riding like your old self.
  • FAiJT

by FAiJT » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:31 am

Allright i guess im happy with what i heard, since anything that is better then the current situation is awesome. I can ride but im in agony afterwords and sometimes during the ride.

thanks m8
  • Old Dude

by Old Dude » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:41 am

Had Arthroscopic menicus sergery in Sept. I had been in so much pain (the described burning type) to the point I could not sleep at night. NO pain at all now. This surgery was followed by injections of a collagen based material that provides cushioning and lubrication. I am working on strength but have, again, NO PAIN in the knee. I don't run and low impact is the way to go for conditioning. Bicycling is probably one of your better options. I am discovering that with the improved R knee my left is suffering. I am planning on having that one done before it gets as bad as the R.
    O.D.
    '06 250X: http://crfsonly.com/forum/garage.php?mo ... le&CID=386
    '03 CRF230
    '04 CRF230
    '08 750 Shadow Spirit
    '01 Polaris Sportsman 600
    '03 CRF50
    '04 KLX110
    Kazuma Falcon90
  • FAiJT

by FAiJT » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:17 am

Allright, sounds like i have nothing to worry about then. I'll just get it done and then see how i end up. Hopefully i'll be able to ride at the least.
    ;)
  • allan101

by allan101 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi Friends,
    I am 25 and on Sept 27 dislocated my knee. It proppedback in place but the mri said torn patellofemoral ligamentAnterior, smaill joint effusion and contusion of femoral condyle. My kneecap will still completely sublux also. I have been in a brace and been doing ptPost-traumatic stress disorder at home. My last follow up the aid my muscles are still extremely atrophied and increased the ptPost-traumatic stress disorder, said he would operate if not better in 4wks. I am still having pain when walking and being woken at night by pain. I was wondering if any of you have had a similar injury and what the healing time is, I have heard it can be up to 1yr? If you had a similar surgery how did it go? The ortho said mine would be an open procedure and involve grafting. Can you tell me what grafting is? Any advice on how to speed the healing, decrease this pain or avoid surgery would be greatly appreciated.

by 124 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:40 am

Just had it done 3 weeks ago. The surgeon took about 25%.

http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopic ... ee+surgery
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
  • smithgerry

by smithgerry » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:17 am

If you are looking to strengthen your knee then try dragging and pulling. A sled is one of the best method to strengthen your muscle and provides relief.
  • grehamjones

by grehamjones » Wed May 19, 2010 2:27 am

While you will have to rest during the entire knee surgery recover period, except of course during the physical therapy.Knee surgery requires extensive post surgery care and a lot of dependency on other people and You will be given a medication after the surgery so as to get relief your knee from the pain. Usually, your doctor will advise you to stop taking the medication if there is no longer any pain on your knee.
  • kiwipwr

by kiwipwr » Wed May 19, 2010 4:03 am

I had knee reconstruction 7 weeks ago after I tore my acl in my left knee and a small fracture as well. Im back at the gym working on core strength now every morning for an hour and a half, knee is getting strong again and although im still a wee way off riding the pain is pretty much all gone now, concentrating on getting strong again and looking forward to the nz summer and being able to ride again, I was pretty heavily depentend for about 2 weeks and on pain killers after my surgery but after that it has just got better and better. It does suck at the start but it does get better
    1stHonda

by 1stHonda » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:55 am

May of 08 I had my ACL replaced(cadaver), meniscus trimmed, and left out a procedure that would have kept me on crutches for a year, grafting knee cartilage. I am still not 100%. I am able to ride and play softball but like the previous remark I do not run for exercise. You are reminded every time you have a good get off that you are not on a reliable knee, gets stiff and swollen. Better than no ACL at all though, couldn't even climb stairs. Good luck and shop around.
    Braaap
  • Joe_E

by Joe_E » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:40 pm

I have had four knee surgeries, two for meniscus back in the late 70's and most recently an ACL cadaver replacement with a follow up surgery to do some clean up and remove scar tissue and a lesion. I was 17 when I had the meniscus surgery on both knees a year apart due to sports. Those healed up well and I never had another problem until I crashed an tore my ACL. All I can tell you is the surgeries are much easier these days and the full recovery rate is very good. Do not wait to schedule your physical therapy sessions. Do it now or you may be on a waiting list while your HMO or Insurance is doing your authorization paperwork. If you are near the Santa Clarita, Ca area, Vargo physical therapy was great, but I waited to long and have lost some mobility because of it that I don't think I will ever get back. Check with your doctor about an ice machine and if you should put it on right after surgery. I know some doctors put it on you before you even wake up from recovery. This will help the swelling and pain. Get the circulating water type, they get real cold and work well. Push yourself, but not too hard. I threw the crutches away quick and think that might have hurt me in the long run. Get off the pain meds quick or you will end up backed up, if you know what I mean. That's no fun and I learned it in 1978, so I knew better in 2008. Good luck, you will be fine and riding in no time. I am back riding but the first couple of months of being on the bike were very tentative. You get over the fear of re-injury gradually and get your confidence back over time. Hope all goes well.
    CRF450X, Rooster Rad Guards, Utah Cycles skid plate, Scott's damper, Acerbis Rally Pro Guards, Uni Filter, stock exhaust baffle removed, JD jetting kit, airbox moded, member of AMA, District 37 and BADGERS M/C
  • Joe_E

by Joe_E » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:44 pm

Hey, I just realized this post is like three years old at the start. That's five minutes of my life I will never get back. I need to look before I type.
    CRF450X, Rooster Rad Guards, Utah Cycles skid plate, Scott's damper, Acerbis Rally Pro Guards, Uni Filter, stock exhaust baffle removed, JD jetting kit, airbox moded, member of AMA, District 37 and BADGERS M/C
  • smithpeter

by smithpeter » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:11 am

Once you are under general anesthesia spinal, or epidural anesthesia, an eight- to twelve-inch cut is made in the front of the knee.Your surgeon can use arthroscopy to feel, repair or remove damaged tissue. To do this, small surgical instruments are inserted through other incisions around your knee.
  • petermark1234

by petermark1234 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:22 am

Arthroscopy is a common surgical procedure in which a joint
    (arthro-) is viewed (-scopy) using a small camera. Arthroscopy gives doctors a clear view of the inside of the knee. This helps them diagnose and treat knee problems.

Technical advances have led to high definition monitors and high resolution cameras. These and other improvements have made arthroscopy a very effective tool for treating knee problems. According to the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, more than 4 million knee arthroscopies are performed worldwide each year.