trouble wiring a tail light/break light with bad icm
  • dirtbikeddy

trouble wiring a tail light/break light with bad icm

by dirtbikeddy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:21 pm

Hey everyone

i Have owned a 15 crf450x for the past year tail light has never worked trying to wire it up as well as a hydraulic brake light switch.
    Bought light from crfs only and brake switch from amazon. the crf light has a black gray and yellow wire while the switch has two terminals. i would like to know if someone could shed any light on how to wire this to where it functions as a real time tail light and brake light so i can plate. and wondering if its easier and or possible to run a basic two terminal on off switch to turn on/off tailight.

new to forum thanks!
    JimDirt

Re: trouble wiring a tail light/break light with bad icm

by JimDirt » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:00 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Sorry for the late reply ... 8-[

The tail light should wire up the same as the old one , the Brake light gets its power from the brake light switch , which usually gets power from either a ignition source (only power when the engine is running , or if it has a Dual Sport key setup) , or direct power from the battery via a inline fuse , the power goes to one side of the switch ( It should not matter which side) , the other wire goes to the brake light... That should be it , you will know if you have the tail or brake light wired backwards if the brake light is not as bright as the tail light
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • dirtwinger

by dirtwinger » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:08 pm

On this same subject, I too am installing the new tail/brake light kit purchased from CRFs Only a couple of years ago, on my 2006 CRF250X. My problem is that when hooking up the new light, without the brake light switch wired in yet, the tail light is constantly on and lit. I did have that same problem with the OEM light, and I had to disconnect the leads under the seat to prevent depletion of the battery when the bike was not running.

The question, of course, is why does the light remain constantly lit? Where do I look? Could it be the relay, and how do I check it? In reviewing the wiring schematic, it shows the black power wire for the light coming from the relay, and it has no other connection except the "Option BL", whatever that is. The green ground wire shows continuity to the frame, as I assume it should.

Help and advice will greatly appreciated. Electrical problems confound me.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:42 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

The way it should be wired on your 06 250X is the tail light wire has power to it all the time , the ground should go thru a relay , and only ground when the bike is running , the gray wire (Gr) goes directly to the ICM (Ignition Control Module) .... The Black wire (Bl) goes to the Starter Relay ... Honda changed the wiring colors and how they hook up for different years , so the X wiring is usually year specific ... #-o

2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • dirtwinger

by dirtwinger » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:32 am

Thank you for your assistance pertaining to my tail light problem. I'll use this schematic to, hopefully, git-er fixed. The schematic I have does vary from the one you presented. It seems as though there might be a ground problem.
  • dirtwinger

by dirtwinger » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:36 pm

An update and finalization concerning my tail light problem where it stays constantly lit on my 2006 CRF250X: I gave up trying to cure the problem, as I could not find out where the fault lay. Power stayed constantly on, no matter what direction I tried to go. Perhaps the fault is in the ICM, or perhaps it is in the relay...could not determine, and the relay is not available, according to the parts detail. What I finally did was mount an on/off switch at the handlebars and wire it in-line with the ground lead behind the battery under the seat. This setup allowed the brake light to function as well. Now, when on the street, legal in my community, I need only remember to have the tail light/brake light switched on and off when parked. When on an off-road/trail ride, who needs a tail light? I'm usually at the back of pack, anyway.

Thank you for the assistance.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:51 pm

Good to hear you figured something out .... one other thing you could have done was taken the power off the coil power lead , as it will only have power when the bike is running , and the single tail light should not draw enough to hurt anything , or you also could have taken it from the headlight ..... but the taillight as far as I understand usually has constant power , so that part is correct , and the ground is what is switched when the bike is on/off thru the relay and/or ECU/ICM , my 450X also has constant power to the light , the ground is what turns it on/off
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • dirtwinger

by dirtwinger » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:46 pm

Thanks for the additional thoughts. I might look into these possibilities if I decide the handlebar switch becomes too much trouble in remembering to switch the tail light to the off position....which would mean draining the battery.