Riding Gear
  • acampbell

Riding Gear

by acampbell » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:23 pm

Hey everyone! I am looking for some opinions on riding gear! I recently just bought my boyfriend a pair of Alpinestars Tech 3 boots, & I am currently looking at the Alpinestars Stella Tech 3 boots for myself, any opinions for lady riders as far as boots go? Also my boyfriend & I are looking into getting pants, any recommendations for those (brands etc) we mostly do trail riding around our apartment complex (train tracks to some trails) but we are also looking to start going to the track here and there & the track also has some trails in the woods. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced :)
    JimDirt

Re: Riding Gear

by JimDirt » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Is this for colder weather riding or waiting till summer (heat) ??? , that makes a difference on gear , as you have to pay attention to the description , as anything that says "vented" will allow the wind to go right thru it and you .....as far as boots , some brands do have female specific boots (and gear) , but the mens (depending on your size requirements) will usually fit , if you are small , then maybe even youth sizes might fit better ..... you will need to find a shop that has a assortment of boots (and gear) and just try them on , and see what fits best...
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:44 pm

Just to add to that ,as far as brands go ,, I am cheap (because I have to) , so I usually buy Fly gear , I like the fit , it is inexpensive compared to some brands , and I can get a entire outfit (gloves ,socks , pants , Jersey , Helmet) , cheaper than I can get just pants and Jersey from some brands .... Boots ,again , I go as cheap as I can and still get the options I want ..... (pivot point ,etc.)

But gear is like engine oil .... it is speculative , what works for you , might not be what someone else likes .... a lot of people rave about 6D helmets ....if I could afford $600+ for a helmet , I might rave about them as well , but I usually spend $150 on a helmet , as I figure , if I crash hard enough that it needs replaced , I would rather replace a cheaper one , than a $600 or more helmet , and for the most part , if I hit my head hard enough to cause brain damage , it will be about the same with the cheap or spendy one , if you hit hard enough , regardless of padding , your brain is still going to bounce around in your skull , that is what causes injury to the brain , padding will lessen the initial hit , but the shock to the brain will be about the same , at the very least a concussion will happen with either one .... the spendey one may have a air inflation system ,and that may cushion some of the impact , but if you slam your head hard enough , the protection is going to be around the same , James Stewart is a prime example , he has $600+ helmets , he got center punched by Dungey at one of the SX races , he ended up with a concussion anyway , and it pretty much ended his career , because it changed his vision when things get moving fast , and his brain can't compensate , so he got slower and slower the remaining races he did ,

Not trying to scare you with that ,,, just saying , I like and use Fly gear , it serves its purpose , it looks good ,and it is affordable , those all are priorities for me and it covers them all , my buddy I ride with has almost nothing except Alpinestars , it is all he will buy , but he has a much larger budget than I do , he loves Tech 7's , I have bought 2 pair of Tech 3's and been perfectly happy with them , but I also have Fox Forma's and Moose boots , and am trying to get (as soon as they get them back in stock in a few months) Fly FR5 boots , they have the pivot I want , and are about $249 ...

What I would suggest is to get what your budget allows , and what catches your eye .... I like plain simple gear , I don't need 40 colors on 1 jersey , to me it makes you look like a circus clown (my opinion) .... but some people like that look , young people more than old guys like me (61) , in my Sig , you can see my Fly gear , it matches my new bike , so that is all I am concerned with :mrgreen:
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:36 pm

Well the old saying "A $50 helmet for a $50 head" is pretty true.
    Better helmets provide better protection but only to a point as Jim has pointed out.
    Vented hemets are great when it is hot, just make sure there is some filtering otherwise the dust can get you. Removeable liners that can be hand washed is useful in the dirt as well.

Jim is pretty right that there are some lady boots out there but a few I have known just grab kid sizes. Just make sure it fits well in the foot as well as the calf muscle. The calf is where mens boots can be larger.
    You can get basically padded under pants to provide extra cushioning from hard seats and hip bone protection if you come off.

Hope that helps and enjoy riding.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • acampbell

by acampbell » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:14 am

Thanks for the insight guys I really appreciate it. I did some research & I think I am going to go with the Alpinestars tech 3 Stella boots they seem to actually be made for females because the calf of the boot is shorter & more to fit for a girl! & as for pants I think I am going to look more into it & get a pair for colder weather & a pair for hotter weather since I’m in Jersey we have all four seasons. I am also not looking to spend a lot I was looking at some fox helmets that were in the $160 range. Any good gloves you can recommend that aren’t super expensive? Thank you all again! I’m glad I joined this site when I did you are all super helpful.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:41 pm

I like gloves that are longer than most MX gloves.
    If you do hit the ground you're palm gets the gravel which the shorter MX gravel can ride up a bit.
    If you ride with lots of trees, gloves with knuckle protection are nice, though a little less flexible.

Think about a bit of roost/chest armour and back protection as well.
    Obviously ladies needs will be different but don't know if they make gender specific gear. You think they would.

It is mainly about making a small off a bit less painful experience.
    The gear you need does become dependent on where you ride.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:30 am

The only comment I can have on ladies gear is from my wife. We tried some different brands MSR and Answer for my wife. She has long legs and most all the ladies gear are too short for her. The Answer gear was the only one that were long enough in the legs for her. Little big in the waist. But work good.
    Myself, I have had by far the best luck with Fox gear. It's built tough - it lasts and lasts & lasts. Side note Mr. Fox has a home three house down from me. He's dead now but thought it was pretty cool. I've tried the others, Answer runs small, MSR is ok gear. Fly gear fits true to size is very reasonable but will no way last as long as Fox gear. You get what you pay for. Fox gear is heavier and hotter.
    Which is ok now that I'm out the hottest fricki'n place on the planet for riders.
    Helmets - My feeling is that many are literately buying a name. I have from had high dollar Shoei to low dollar no names. They all do the same thing and never really found the extra money to be worth it. They have to meet standards to be sold. I have crashed on street bikes and dirt bikes & Trials bikes. Ground a Bell down to the liner once in street bike crash. Had a good AGV helmet for some years before I just wore it out inside. Some have removable liners to wash but I have never taken them out. I wear a skull cap thing that catches sweat and saves the helmet liner. All the helmets did their job. Helmets subject is like best oil subjects. Everyone has a opinion they live & die by. Find one that fits you good and has no hot spots like forehead or ears. Use the chin strap several times and make sure you like that way it works.
    Boots - try them on and see what fits you. That's the only way you can really tell. Some loosen up nice others stay stiff and not very flexible for what seems forever. I have tried many different brands over the years. Guerne are very good boots. Pricey but very good. Alpinestars are good equipment- hard to beat them with several levels for every budget. I had a pair of 6's for many years. The bootie thing they use is comfortable but damn hot when I lived in AZ.
    Gloves - I burn through gloves real fast. Between wearing them out and getting where they stink to much to keep. I get whatever places like Rockymountainatv have sales on. The very best glove that I ever used was the old Malcom Smiths and the old JT racing. Those where great gloves. Modern gloves are pretty wimpy.
    Knee and elbow guards - use them. Both your knees and elbows will thank you for the rest of your life.
    Don't forget googles. I like the Oakleys. Scott was the top deal but I found the foam to disintegrate rather quickly.

Hope that gives you a little to work with.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:15 am

Are you not washing your gear Neil ??? ..... I wash mine every few rides (pants , jersey , gloves , socks , helmet liner , base layer......then I hose off my body armor and knee guards and hang them to air dry (or just hang them in the shower and use the hand wand to give them the once over with hot water , till the water comes out clear), and hang my boots on my Peet Boot Dryer , which also will hold my helmet with a helmet attachment) , and usually after EVERY ride , my socks and base layer go in the dryer with Dryer Sheets , to get the days funk out .... no stinky for me ... :--/ ...

And I have been riding a lot since the new bike , I already have 20 hours on it , and I have been riding Thurs,Fri,Sat,Sun , most every week (this week will only be Sat,Sun, so I can put my bike back together (flywheel weight and full suspension grease)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:42 pm

Gloves Jim -- ](*,) Don't tell me your gloves don't get stinky and they do not wash well....

I am sure if I was as talented a rider as you my gear would stay like new just like the pro's. But it don't. I wear it out.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:22 pm

Yea , I wash my gloves all the time , and yea they do wear , I wear the palms and fingers out all the time , I usually end up sewing the fingers at least once during the season , actually just got a new pair 2 weeks ago for that exact reason .... well that and I needed a Red/White pair to match my new bike , already washed them once ... and had only worn them twice (I rode 4 days in a row , 2 weeks in a row) . :mrgreen: , usually gloves last me about 1 season give or take , riding pretty much every weekend ... I try to get the thicker ones with leather palms and heavily stitched fingers , and as mentioned , I usually have to sew up a finger or 2 , I don't/can't use those new flimsy ones with no wrist strap , because of my hand/wrist issues and my wrist brace , I need the ones with the wrist strap , the flimsy ones look like if you put them on too aggressively they will tear ( I actually tore a pair trying to put them on in the motorcycle shop one time) ..... but my hands and feet sweat excessively , so I wash the gloves and socks a lot , the pants/jersey I just wash when they get muddy or real dusty/dirty ... , but gloves , base layer and socks get washed regularly ..

I wish I was still a fast rider , I would not come close to qualifying for a Pro race anymore , even if I was the only one qualifying .. :(
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • daisie678

by daisie678 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:49 am

Hey everyone! I am looking for some opinions on riding gear! I recently just bought my boyfriend a pair of Alpinestars Tech 3 boots, & I am currently looking at the Alpinestars Stella Tech 3 boots for myself, any opinions for lady riders as far as boots go? Also my boyfriend & I are looking into getting pants, any recommendations for those (brands etc) we mostly do trail riding around our apartment complex (train tracks to some trails) but we are also looking to start going to the track here and there & the track also has some trails in the woods. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced :)
    Moose, Fox Legion, and Leat are some of the best makers of ridding gear, check them out.
  • Nikonov_94

by Nikonov_94 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:09 pm

My wife has bought her entire riding kit from Fox Legion, initially because she found the name cute and we didn't know much anyways, but it turned out to be a solid investment.