Tire Size and Gearing
  • stmlandplan

Tire Size and Gearing

by stmlandplan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:56 pm

I've just gone to a 13/45 sprocket setup to get better response on the trails. I now need to decide on a rear tire replacement. One option I am considering is a Dunlop D606 but it is 1" larger in diameter which aside from my seat height being higher it seems it will tend to counteract what I just did to my gearing down to some degree...or will it make any noticeable difference? My guess is that it will not but wanted to see what everyone thought.

2014 Honda CRF250L
    Stock rear tire
    JimDirt

Re: Tire Size and Gearing

by JimDirt » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:36 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

What you would end up with is about the equivalent of maybe 1 tooth at the most i would guess , (larger) so it will up your ratio from a 3.462 , to maybe a 3.528 , so basically it would be like switching from 13/45 , to a 13/46 and i am not sure it would even do that , maybe more somewhere in between those numbers , if you could physically feel the difference , i would say it would be minimal , and you will only notice a very slight difference in top end gain , and a very slight loss of bottom end responsiveness , depending on the trails you ride , it might not be noticeable at all , and it should not dramatically affect your street performance if at all , maybe a few hundred RPM difference in top gear at most , i would think you would notice the stance difference when putting your feet down more than the difference in actual performance ...... at least that has been my experience with going to a larger diameter tire , i notice the stance and that is about the only difference i actually "feel" ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • stmlandplan

by stmlandplan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:58 am

Thanks JimDirt. You've confirmed what I thought might be the case. The ride height is a bigger concern.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks JimDirt. You've confirmed what I thought might be the case. The ride height is a bigger concern.
    If you want a exact calculation , go to this link and use the Gearing Calculator , i forgot all about that we had this here #-o , this will give you the exact changes that will be made , you will just have to do some measuring and it will give you the results

https://www.crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopi ... 41&t=36116
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho