Advice?
  • Gutrons

Advice?

by Gutrons » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:59 pm

Incredible source for all kinds of info! I’ll dive all the way in tomorrow (while I’m at work) but wanted to float a question real quick:
    Looking at an 08 that may have dropped a valve, engine is definitely not turning over but looks to have a bit of movement (not completely frozen like rings). Rest of bike is ok, nothing unexpected. I’m sure it was abused to some extent but it’s an 08 so some of that comes with the miles.

I’m wondering about build options, best bet, budget friendly, all around solid rebuild. I’m leaning towards a wrench rabbit kit (crank,bearings, top end, then what about valve service! Gets pricey quick!) but open to suggestions (big bore? Which one?). I like the idea of a bolt on but if I’m sending out the head already maybe I send out the cylinder too? Once I tear it down I’ll know more but that’s kind of the gamble. Seller wants $1,000 for it as it sits. I can get him to $900 but it still just feels like a lot to throw at a paperweight (for now....). Any thoughts? The goal is to have a solid trail/bike (lighter than my xr400), not racing, maybe 10 hrs per month max. Thanks for any input!
  • Back2-2

Re: Advice?

by Back2-2 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:42 am

Hello,
    As you stated - you will only be able to determine what it is going to take after you do a full and thorough disassembly. There are many, many things it could be that is wrong and has the engine locked up.
    If it is just the top end that will run you $500+ for a complete good forever [or close] head assy + the top end parts. If the lower end is in need than it starts going up and going up quick. A complete engine from a parting bike is an option but that always goes with risk too.
    Personally, I would not pay the $900 for the bike. Far to many things that can run you over the cost of buying a nice clean running bike of the same year. If you do the work yourself that certainly saves a lot of money but parts are still pretty pricey.
    Taking the engine to someone will probably go over $2500+ in parts & labor for a full rebuild but it can easily exceed that.
    I recommend OEM parts if you do venture into this.

I suggest moving on. Yes, parting out, it is worth more than the $900 all parts total but rebuilding it probably not.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:00 pm

If it has dropped a valve and caused a lock up the Conrod and its bearings would be toast.
    Either way you are going to have to split cases and either rebuild the crank or replace. And you still don’t know what other issues it may have.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • Gutrons

by Gutrons » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks for the replies! I’ll be doing all the work and looking at it as a good project with my 14 year old. I’m comfortable with a full rebuild and think I’d rather go that route to know it’s all done and done right. That being said, I’m reading about kibblewhite vs oem (and all the other options for valves), knowing that it’s not a race bike and I’m looking for longevity and reliability what is the best bet? I’d like to have Crf’s only do the head just figuring out which one. Anyone used the wrench rabbit kits? Reviews are good and components are reputable (Wiseco). Just curious if anyone has an opinion on either topic.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:37 am

Thanks for the replies! I’ll be doing all the work and looking at it as a good project with my 14 year old. I’m comfortable with a full rebuild and think I’d rather go that route to know it’s all done and done right. That being said, I’m reading about kibblewhite vs oem (and all the other options for valves), knowing that it’s not a race bike and I’m looking for longevity and reliability what is the best bet? I’d like to have Crf’s only do the head just figuring out which one. Anyone used the wrench rabbit kits? Reviews are good and components are reputable (Wiseco). Just curious if anyone has an opinion on either topic.
    All my years building engines the only issues I ever had was with Wiseco pistons. Use OEM parts other than I highly recommend the Kibbles for the valves. I also highly recommend Ken here at CRF's to do it right for you.
    Sounds like a good project for you & your son. Still chancy to buy without full knowledge of what the damages are, but it sounds like you are aware of what it can lead to cost wise.
    Good luck & hope to hear what you decide.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200